From: pern63 on
I´ve tried to change a sektting that would affect the webserver to register
the cs-username with the websurfers actual username/pc computer name, instead
of a just a hyphen (-) registered for an anonymous user visitor at website.
But that seems real difficult to affect with a change of a setting i
webserver settings or changing the settings in wwwroot in the file rights for
example .....

when i installed the webserver the first times, a couple of years ago, the
log function of users name that had visit the web server where registered in
log file, with pc computer name i believe , but then a while later after some
time running the web server the user name where´nt reported in neither the
web server logfile or weblog reports if collected with a separate software
for that, and only a hyphen where registered in the web server logfile,
though I had marked the user name in IIS settings to be registered in
webserver logfile. But at some time the user name where registered and the
web server logfile and there happened a difference at a specific date and
time ??

Have Microsoft changed any predefined function in later version of IIS
webserver or Windows prior to earlier versions ? I wonder if a person
working with similar tasks and knowledge in this area has a idea what might
have happened with the software in IIS webserver , or if this is a subject
concerning software file function in other part of windows connected to IIS
webserver and servicepack for example ? and an idea if it´s possible to
change a setting so the user name of visitor is registered in webserver
logfile though the Iuser account is set and allowing anonymous user to visit
website ? I don´t think it´s a sever worry, but I would like to get the
webserver logfile to functioning and read user names and pc computer name
mostly of reason to see what pc nick names visitors have in their computers

pern63

20100506 17:41 (+1 GMT)
corrected and added
20100522 16:25 (+1 GMT)
From: Ken Schaefer on
IIS can only log information that is sent from the remote machine.

You will always have the remote machine's IP address (cs-IP)
If you want username that is being used to access the site, then you can't
allow Anonymous Authentication. You have to force the user to authenticate.

There is no way that IIS can magically know things about the remote user.
The remote user/browser has to send that information to IIS, and then IIS
can record it in the log files.

Cheers
Ken

http://www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken