Prev: IIf statement
Next: Overflow
From: Tom on
I am using Access 2007 query wizards to do the following, but seem to be
unable to take it one step further.

In the Wizard, I identify 3 columns if they are duplicated to give me the
results No problem with this. But I would like to add a fourth column to
this query ONLY if this fourth column does not Match itself.

Hope I am making this clear enough.

Thanks
--
Tom
From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:23:03 -0800, Tom <Tom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using Access 2007 query wizards to do the following, but seem to be
>unable to take it one step further.
>
>In the Wizard, I identify 3 columns if they are duplicated to give me the
>results No problem with this. But I would like to add a fourth column to
>this query ONLY if this fourth column does not Match itself.
>
>Hope I am making this clear enough.

Not really. I've read it three times now and I'm not sure what you're getting
at.

You want to find records which are duplicates with respect to three fields,
but if they are also duplicates at the fourth field you DON'T want to see
them?

Could you post some sample data and the desired result?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Tom on
Ok---Here is a try:

Columns
1 2 3 4 5 etc
a c e f
a c e f
a c e g
a d e f
a d e f

Results Wanted

a c e f
a c e g

Does this help?

Thanks
--
Tom

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:33:01 -0800, Tom <Tom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Ok---Here is a try:
>
>Columns
>1 2 3 4 5 etc
>a c e f
>a c e f
>a c e g
>a d e f
>a d e f
>
>Results Wanted
>
>a c e f
>a c e g
>
>Does this help?
>
>Thanks

Not unless you meant to say

a d e f

instead of

a c e g

since a c e g is NOT duplicated and a d e f is. In fact the situation for a d
e f appears to be absolutely identical to that for a c e f. Why should one be
selected and not the other?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Tom on
I want the result to be If Col 1, 2 and 3 are duplicated then only want to
see the ones that Col 4 are Not duplicated.

Columns
1 2 3 4 5 etc
a c b h----changed-- this may take out the confusion
a c e f
a c e g
a d e f
a d e f

Results Wanted: The a c e match in two rows but only want when the 4th col
does not match

a c e f
a c e g

--
Tom

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:33:01 -0800, Tom <Tom(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok---Here is a try:
> >
> >Columns
> >1 2 3 4 5 etc
> >a c e f
> >a c e f
> >a c e g
> >a d e f
> >a d e f
> >
> >Results Wanted
> >
> >a c e f
> >a c e g
> >
> >Does this help?
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Not unless you meant to say
>
> a d e f
>
> instead of
>
> a c e g
>
> since a c e g is NOT duplicated and a d e f is. In fact the situation for a d
> e f appears to be absolutely identical to that for a c e f. Why should one be
> selected and not the other?
>
> --
>
> John W. Vinson [MVP]
> .