From: Dima on
I own an HP 50g for almost a year. I bought a used one but in perfect
condition. During my usage it has absorbed some dust and I can see
grains of dust on the LCD screen. There are not many of them, but I
prefer not to see them there.

My question is how to remove dust grains from the screen and how to
prevent them from getting there. Any advise will be appreciated.
From: TW on
> My question is how to remove dust grains from the screen and how to
> prevent them from getting there. Any advise will be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6GB2gmq1yE&feature

That shows the best way to open up the screen cover. A suction cup
does the job nicely with no cosmetic issues showing. If you have
trouble with that, a tiny screwdriver can pry it up at the risk of
some cosmetic issues.

Once it is open, clean it nicely and put it back. There really isn't
anything to do to keep dust out. I personally have never had trouble
with dust getting inside, but I had one or two that seemed to have a
little bit of dust from the factory. Once the specs were cleaned out
once, there was never any more trouble.

TW
From: TW on
> anything to do to keep dust out. I personally have never had trouble
> with dust getting inside,

I just remembered about this as well if you want some nice pictures
and to know the way to "dustproof" it.

http://holyjoe.net/hhc2006/dust/index.htm

TW
From: Dima on
On Feb 8, 6:44 pm, TW <timwess...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > anything to do to keep dust out. I personally have never had trouble
> > with dust getting inside,
>
> I just remembered about this as well if you want some nice pictures
> and to know the way to "dustproof" it.
>
> http://holyjoe.net/hhc2006/dust/index.htm
>
> TW

Thank you for the link. This: http://holyjoe.net/hhc2006/dust/Dusty512.jpg
is exactly what I have. I'll try the described way.
From: Joe Horn on
> You can't dustproof it. Dust comes from keys and ports,
> not just from the protective screen cover.

Although this is true for the 49G, I'm not sure it's true for the 49g+
or 50g. If the screen cover is properly resealed in place, there is
only one place for dust to get in, and that's through the gap around
the aluminum HP logo appliqué and the hole underneath it (see photos
linked earlier in this thread). That gap and/or hole can be sealed,
thus rendering the 50g display dustproof. If the display cover seal
has gaps, the gaps can be easily removed by resealing the cover with
full-length double-sided adhesive tape.

As for dust coming through from the keyboard or ports, that's not
possible, since the LCD is sealed from those areas.

Ignore the two previous paragraphs if the HP 50g has multiple designs,
of course. If that's the case, photos of the different designs would
be greatly appreciated. Photos of the design of my 49g+ have already
been linked in this thread; notice that there are no gaps around the
LCD, unlike the 49G which has several dust pathways from the port and
keyboard.

-Joe-