From: Lem on
MLT wrote:
> I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
> the setup. Maybe that's not correct...
>
> Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
> previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
> we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.

Ah, you mean the IP address of the router. For Linksys routers, the
default is 192.168.1.1. Connect a computer to one of the routers 4 LAN
ports (not the "Internet" port), open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in
the address or "go to" field. This address does NOT change every time
you access the Internet.

What you're thinking of is the IP address that the rest of the world
sees as your router; that used to be static, and now changes -- but you
don't have to worry about it unless you are going to operate a server of
some kind.

If you have changed the router's IP address (i.e., 192.168.1.1 does not
get you to the router sign on page), you'll have to reset the router to
its defaults. With the router powered on, press and hold the reset
button on the back for about 15 or 20 seconds. The lights should flash
and *all* of the router's settings will be reset to default values.

The default for signing on to the router is to leave the User Name blank
and use "Admin" (without quotes) as the password. It's possible, but
not very likely, that the User Name will also be Admin, but try first
with it blank. As part of your setup, change the router's configuration
access password. I suggest that you write down the password and tape it
to the router.

You may have to configure the section of the router that connects to
your satellite modem. I'm not familiar with setup for satellite, but if
it's like cable, you can leave the router at its default Internet
Connection Type of DHCP (obtain an IP address automatically from your
ISP). *This* is the IP address that may change every time you connect
to the Internet. DSL connections usually use "PPPoE" as the Internet
Connection Type, and require you to enter a User ID and Password given
by the ISP. Your satellite ISP should have given you directions on how
to configure your connection.

If you had to reset the router, you'll have to re-configure the wireless
setup. You probably can leave the Network Setting section at its default.

Wireless setup:

Set an SSID (network name) that you will recognize but is not your last
name or address. Leave the channel at its default. If you later
experience interference from nearby wireless networks, you can come back
and try changing the channel. Use 1, 6, or 11 (the others are too close
together). Set the "Wireless Mode" to conform with the wireless
adapters in your computers: Mixed G&B, G-only, or B-only. At the
Wireless Security section, set the encryption to WPA2-Personal (AES) if
and only if all of your computers' wireless adapters are capable of
using WPA2. Otherwise, set it to WPA-Personal (AES). If any of your
wireless adapters are only capable of WEP encryption, I suggest that you
get new wireless adapters. Do not disable SSID broadcast and do not
enable MAC filtering.
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
On system like this there is two kind of IPs.
WAN IP on the Internet side of the Router. If your Internet connection works
OK leave it as is.
LAN IP which is the Local IP that computers get from the Router.
Lem's instructions should be sufficient for configuration.If you get into
trouble these pages has more info.
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htm
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).