From: MLT on
I'm looking for help in setting up a laptop to a linksys wireless
router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!
From: Lem on
MLT wrote:
> I'm looking for help in setting up a laptop to a linksys wireless
> router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
> different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
> give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!

Why are you concerned about the IP address?
What version of Windows?
What model router?
Is the router yours?
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Rick on
MLT wrote:
> I'm looking for help in setting up a laptop to a linksys wireless
> router. Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get started since there's a
> different IP address each time I access the internet. Can someone
> give me an idea how to get started? Thanks!
did you not get a manual with the router. I used a Linksys router for
years and found the manual to be very useful.

Good Luck
From: MLT on
I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
the setup. Maybe that's not correct...

Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.
From: Rick on
MLT wrote:
> I was thinking I had to go to the IP address page in order to initiate
> the setup. Maybe that's not correct...
>
> Its windows XP and a WRT54G Linksys router. Yes its mine, it was
> previously setup with a provider that had static IP addresses, but now
> we have a satellite provider and has a dynamic IP address.
I do not have my manual any more (I deleted it when I replaced it). I
am thinking that you might get some help by contacting the satellite
company if that is possible. I that you could enable Dynamic IP by
clicking a box in the setup--but, I have not done that for at least 6
years and am not sure I am correct.