From: sekhar on
We have Exchange 2007 SP1 and AD - Windows 2003 SP1

Mailbox Servers: MBX01 & MBX02
HUB Servers: HUB1 and HUB2

We are planning to do hardware maintenence activity on MBX02 servers. It
will be down for 6 hours. What will happen when an e-mail is sent to the the
users in MBX02 servers (During Downtime)?

E-mail will be quied in HUB1 / HUB2 servers (OR) Sender will get NDR?
If quied in HUB1 / HUB2 servers, is there any manual action required?

Thank you in advance..!!!
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:08:00 -0700, sekhar
<sekhar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have Exchange 2007 SP1 and AD - Windows 2003 SP1
>
>Mailbox Servers: MBX01 & MBX02
>HUB Servers: HUB1 and HUB2
>
>We are planning to do hardware maintenence activity on MBX02 servers. It
>will be down for 6 hours. What will happen when an e-mail is sent to the the
>users in MBX02 servers (During Downtime)?

The sender will receive a "delayed delivery" notice if 6 hours exceeds
the time you set for sending delay notices.

>E-mail will be quied in HUB1 / HUB2 servers (OR) Sender will get NDR?

They'll get a DSN. They'll only get a NDR if you've set a shorter time
than the duration of your aintenance window.

>If quied in HUB1 / HUB2 servers, is there any manual action required?

No.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: sekhar on
Thank you Rich.
Where to check the DSN status and how to change this? Also, our downtime is
now changed to 12 hours. While users get the DSN, is the message queued in
HUB server?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 22:28:21 -0700, sekhar
<sekhar(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you Rich.
>Where to check the DSN status and how to change this?

The time intervals can be displayed like this:

get-transportserver | fl name,*time*

You can change those intervals with the "set-transportserver" cmdlet.

>Also, our downtime is
>now changed to 12 hours. While users get the DSN, is the message queued in
>HUB server?

Yes. And the message may also remain in the user's Outbox.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP