From: Squat'n Dive on
Having looked at the prices for the proper cases and given ecc
unavailability on X58 I started looking down the beaten
path of buying a xeon box configured online. Looked on hp small
business site and started cherry picking
parts for Z800 workstation: configurator says ECC (DDR 1333) is not
supported by any 64 bit OS?!????
Correct me if i'mw wrong but I was thinking ECC is entirely hardware
business. No?

If I build an X48 bases machine with an older core duo/quad would i
have the same issues with ECC
support as on Xeon platform?

Disclaimer: I don't work for hp but i do own a few grand worth of
their stock
From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Squat'n Dive a �crit :
> Correct me if i'mw wrong but I was thinking ECC is entirely hardware
> business. No?

The Linux kernel and the associated edac-utils user-space utilities
provide EDAC (error detection and correction) reporting and handling for
supported hardware (mainly x86 and PowerPC).
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 22 July 2010 08:08 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Squat'n Dive wrote...

> Having looked at the prices for the proper cases and given ecc
> unavailability on X58 I started looking down the beaten
> path of buying a xeon box configured online. Looked on hp small
> business site and started cherry picking parts for Z800 workstation:
> configurator says ECC (DDR 1333) is not supported by any 64 bit
> OS?!????
> Correct me if i'mw wrong but I was thinking ECC is entirely hardware
> business. No?

Yes, you are correct. However, the operating system must be able to
report ECC errors via the system logger, and it is possible that the
hardware monitoring chip is still too new to be supported by 64-bit
operating systems (albeit that I'd find it extremely weird, since it
has nothing to do with the "bitness").

Still, I don't believe that any 64-bit operating system still exists
that would be uncapable of logging such errors. GNU/Linux certainly
can, and why would HP release a chip that's not supported "by any
64-bit OS", when all of their hardware is 64-bit capable?

> If I build an X48 bases machine with an older core duo/quad would i
> have the same issues with ECC support as on Xeon platform?

Can't answer that, sorry. I've opted for AMD Opterons in my 64-bit
machine, which has a Tyan motherboard and uses DDR-2 at 553 MHz (or
otherwise put, pc5300). ;-)

That said, I don't know whether the Core Duo or Core Quad architecture
is socket-compatible with the Xeons. They might not be, because of the
extra pins the Xeon uses for ECC. Likewise, you can't just plug an AMD
Opteron in a motherboard intended for an Athlon64.

Some will fit, depending on the type of Opteron - these will be the 1xx
or 1xxx Opterons, but definitely not the 2xx/2xxx or 8xx/8xxx series.
I suspect it is the same for the Intel Xeon, but I'm insufficiently
informed about Intel's breed of server processors.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:08:47 -0700, Squat'n Dive wrote:

> Having looked at the prices for the proper cases and given ecc
> unavailability on X58 I started looking down the beaten path of buying a
> xeon box configured online. Looked on hp small business site and started
> cherry picking parts for Z800 workstation: configurator says ECC (DDR
> 1333) is not supported by any 64 bit OS?!????
> Correct me if i'mw wrong but I was thinking ECC is entirely hardware
> business. No?
>
> If I build an X48 bases machine with an older core duo/quad would i have
> the same issues with ECC
> support as on Xeon platform?
>
> Disclaimer: I don't work for hp but i do own a few grand worth of their
> stock

ECC is supported on X58 systems. For example this SuperMicro motherboard
has ECC listed in it's specs,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182165

I'm pretty sure that all server motherboards support ECC.

From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:21:20 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:08:47 -0700, Squat'n Dive wrote:
>
>> Having looked at the prices for the proper cases and given ecc
>> unavailability on X58 I started looking down the beaten path of buying
>> a xeon box configured online. Looked on hp small business site and
>> started cherry picking parts for Z800 workstation: configurator says
>> ECC (DDR 1333) is not supported by any 64 bit OS?!???? Correct me if
>> i'mw wrong but I was thinking ECC is entirely hardware business. No?
>>
>> If I build an X48 bases machine with an older core duo/quad would i
>> have the same issues with ECC
>> support as on Xeon platform?
>>
>> Disclaimer: I don't work for hp but i do own a few grand worth of their
>> stock
>
> ECC is supported on X58 systems. For example this SuperMicro motherboard
> has ECC listed in it's specs,
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182165
>
> I'm pretty sure that all server motherboards support ECC.

I'll amend that to say that most server motherboards support ECC, I just
noticed that there were a few Tyan motherboards listed on Newegg under
servers that don't support ECC, but those are an anomaly. Look on Newegg
under server motherboards and then select ECC, you'll have a ton of
choices.