From: annalissa on
Hi all,

My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
drivers available for linux and BSD.
This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
functionality (not merely the just works bit)

how correct is his argument ?
does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
driver support for its devices ?

what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?

Is there any other company which provides similar support ?
From: David Brown on
On 22/07/2010 09:35, annalissa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
> drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

There are several companies which provide good Linux support (drivers,
ppd files, documentation, and officially supporting Linux). I don't
have a list, but I know that Konica Minolta do a good job.
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> wrote:
> There are several companies which provide good Linux support (drivers,
> ppd files, documentation, and officially supporting Linux).

Also, if you are buying a more serious printer, there is no need to worry
about support for different OSes. Instead the keyword to search for in the
specifications is "PostScript". Most "printer drivers" for Linux
translates postscript to some protocol specific for the printer. If the
printer natively speaks postscript the host computer CPU will save some
cycles and it will be easier to configure the printer.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: ray on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:35:56 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers, because
> of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard Linux Imaging project) where H.P
> developers work to make open source drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers works
> on fully free open sourced projects which support the full functionality
> (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

With Linux, unlike MS, it is not necessary for a particular company to
provide support. For example, a PCL4 printer is a PCL4 printer - that is
a standard. So my Brother HL-1440 printer works impeccably with Linux. I
have had excellent results with the avasys support on scanners and my
Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-22, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

> Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
> varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.

Yep. Now, with CUPS, it's shockingly simple. I think it took about
30 seconds to see/config my Brother 1440 printer. As for Canon, I
don't understand that company. I love Canon cameras, but they should
be flogged around the fleet for their stance on Linux, which as you
say, is zero to none. It's becoming just plain embarrassing a major
electronics company would shun an platform with millions of users. I
don't know about their printers, but the easiest way to deal with
their cameras is to take the camera out of the equation and just plug
the memory card in a card reader.

nb