From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 22 July 2010 09:35 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as annalissa wrote...

> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
> drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

Brother releases both drivers and utilities for use of their
multifunctionals and printers with GNU/Linux under the GPL, and both as
packages for the popular package managers - i.e. .rpm, .deb - and as
source code.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Scott Alfter on
In article <9bc19c60-6dd0-4ce5-b757-be519feda9cb(a)w15g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
annalissa <aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
>because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
>Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
>drivers available for linux and BSD.
>This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
>works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
>functionality (not merely the just works bit)

It's definitely been easier (IME) to get HP printers up and running lately
than most others I've run across. More importantly, the full range of
capabilities is usually available. I think the only things not working on
my Photosmart 3210 at this point are the send-to-computer buttons and the
card reader, and those often don't work under Windows or Mac OS X either.
Printing and scanning both work. The other HP printers I have are fully
functional under Linux.

>what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?

Last time I checked, they only provided x86 binary blobs...useless if you're
running something other than x86 (AMD64, PowerPC, etc.). Maybe things have
changed, but I ended up chucking a Stylus Photo R200 in the trash after it
clogged up yet again. (Should've heeded my instincts and held out for a
disc-printing-capable printer from someone other than Epson...always had
problems with them clogging back when I was selling printers for a living,
and it would appear they've not improved in the more than a decade since.)

_/_
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

From: root on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-22, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
>> varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.
>
> Yep. Now, with CUPS, it's shockingly simple. I think it took about
> 30 seconds to see/config my Brother 1440 printer. As for Canon, I
> don't understand that company. I love Canon cameras, but they should
> be flogged around the fleet for their stance on Linux, which as you
> say, is zero to none. It's becoming just plain embarrassing a major
> electronics company would shun an platform with millions of users. I
> don't know about their printers, but the easiest way to deal with
> their cameras is to take the camera out of the equation and just plug
> the memory card in a card reader.
>
> nb

I got a friend to consider linux until she found her
Canon high resolution printer was not fully supported.
She stuck with Windows. Good reason to always avoid
Canon.
From: Stan Barr on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:13:14 GMT, notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-22, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
>> varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.
>
> Yep. Now, with CUPS, it's shockingly simple. I think it took about
> 30 seconds to see/config my Brother 1440 printer. As for Canon, I
> don't understand that company. I love Canon cameras, but they should
> be flogged around the fleet for their stance on Linux, which as you
> say, is zero to none. It's becoming just plain embarrassing a major
> electronics company would shun an platform with millions of users. I
> don't know about their printers, but the easiest way to deal with
> their cameras is to take the camera out of the equation and just plug
> the memory card in a card reader.

My Canon Poweshot A560 plays very nicely with Ubuntu. Plugging it in
immediately offers you the choice of mounting it on the desktop or
opening a graphics program to manipulate the pics, no other drivers
required.
In fact it works better than Canon's own software under Windows XP.

Mind you, that camera is a coupla years old!

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr plan.b .at. dsl .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-22, Stan Barr <plan.b(a)dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> My Canon Poweshot A560 plays very nicely with Ubuntu. Plugging it in
> immediately offers you the choice of mounting it on the desktop or
> opening a graphics program to manipulate the pics, no other drivers
> required.
> In fact it works better than Canon's own software under Windows XP.
>
> Mind you, that camera is a coupla years old!

It can be done. No doubt some distros geared toward multi-media are
likely to have all the apps and support software like gphoto2, etc.
Slackware doesn't, so I hadda install a shitload of apps/libs. I found
it easier to just use a card reader. An added bonus is I can write
unrelated data to my memory cards.

nb