From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:15:22 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> On Jul 23, 7:12 am, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqv...(a)deadspam.com>
> wrote:
>> annalissa <aark...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > What about Nova 36 e vidar scanner ?
>>
>> >  Does anyone knows about any linux support for this scanner ???
>> >  Their website doesn't mentions anything about linux
>> >  http://support.vidar.com/swcompatibility/default.htm
>>
>> The place to look for scanner support in Linux
>> ishttp://www1.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
>>
>> Nope, the Nova vidar scanner isn't listed so you assume that it is most
>> likely not supported.
>>
>> regards Henrik
>> --
>> The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
>> hc3(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
>> root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost
>
> I think there should be a linux project which will produce a utility
> very similar to ndiswrapper , so that we can use windows scanner drivers
> for linux as well or in other words we can use win scanners in linux as
> well

I think that's a terrible idea, ndiswrapper is a kludge that allows WiFI
companies to get away without providing Linux support. When there are
Linux friendly suppliers it's important for Linux users to patronize them
exclusively. When it comes to WiFI I won't buy anything except Intel.
When it comes to printers I won't buy anything except HP. BTW Epson is
very Linux friendly but the one Epson printer I owned was constantly
getting it nozzles jammed so my objection has nothing to do with their
Linux friendliness, I just don't like their printers.
From: Marc Haber on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>When it comes to printers I won't buy anything except HP.

A customer of mine has a big HP copier/scanner/printer which insists
on informing every user upon usage start that original HP toner is
inserted. That popup stays up for like five seconds while the unit
doesn't do anything else but displaying that popup.

Yes, even if I only intend to scan, which is independent on what kind
of toner cartridge is being used.

I have rarely seen something nearly as annoying.

Greetings
Marc, using a lexmark postscript printer at home
Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/
From: Phil Gilmer on
annalissa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
> drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

I am using a Brother MFC-7840W Laser Wireless All-in-One. I have it
attached to my network via wireless NIC (it supports wired as well) and
print through CUPS. Linux drivers are available from Brother's web site
for both printer and scanner functions (FAX is not currently supported).

I use Mepis 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5 on several machines and have had no trouble
setting up printing on virtual machines as well for Ubuntu and others.

I have been extremely pleased with this setup. Unlike HP, toner and drum
are separate, so you only have to buy what you need.

Brother also supports Windows.
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
> I don't print much. Maybe every other weeks or so. I also noticed my HP
> PhotoSmart 8450 printer usually has one ink dry out fast. :(

If you don't print much it would probably be cheaper with a laser printer.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Ant on
On 7/25/2010 4:33 AM PT, Henrik Carlqvist typed:

>> I don't print much. Maybe every other weeks or so. I also noticed my HP
>> PhotoSmart 8450 printer usually has one ink dry out fast. :(
>
> If you don't print much it would probably be cheaper with a laser printer.

Color lasers are expensive. :(
--
"Whoops, there goes another ambulance ant." --Seymour and Pepe (Rick
Moranis episode from The Muppets)