From: ray on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:26:20 -0700, Ant wrote:

> On 7/25/2010 4:33 AM PT, Henrik Carlqvist typed:
>
>>> I don't print much. Maybe every other weeks or so. I also noticed my
>>> HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer usually has one ink dry out fast. :(
>>
>> If you don't print much it would probably be cheaper with a laser
>> printer.
>
> Color lasers are expensive. :(

Printers are quite inexpensive now. Color ink is expensive in terms of
consumables. IMHO, the best solution is: mono laser for day to day
printing (which, in my experience, is the vast majority) and a photo ink
jet for printing photos.
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-26, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:

> I've been using a Brother HL1440 for several years now - without incident
> - I think you had a defective printer.

Yep! I can't say enough about how good Brother laser printers are.
My HL1440 has taken so much abuse it's astonishing. Three moves, one
auto accident, neglect, prolonged storage and non-use, etc. Yet it
still fires right up and prints like it just came outta the box.
Brilliant.

Their little cheapo fax/copier is just as amazing. Cheap, reliable,
simple, does what claims. I hate fax machines, but businesses still
rely on them. If you gotta have one and don't wanna spend big $$,
this is it:

<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=196267&CatId=223>

Having used Canon, HP, Epson, etc, I'm a serious Brother convert.
Reliable, inexpensive, and Linux compatable. What more could you ask
for. ;)

nb

From: Ant on
On 7/26/2010 7:43 AM PT, ray typed:

>>> If you don't print much it would probably be cheaper with a laser
>>> printer.
>>
>> Color lasers are expensive. :(
>
> Printers are quite inexpensive now. Color ink is expensive in terms of
> consumables. IMHO, the best solution is: mono laser for day to day
> printing (which, in my experience, is the vast majority) and a photo ink
> jet for printing photos.

How much is a new cheap laser color printer these days? When I bought
this HP PhotoSmart printer in end of 2004, laser printers were pricey
for me. It was to replace my Epson Stylus Color 880 printer (it sucked
like you guys mentioned with its ink and annoying cleanings).

As for color photographs/photos., I don't print that many. It's just
rare. It's only for printing colored web pages, e-mails, etc.
--
"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding." --unknown
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-26, Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:

> As for color photographs/photos., I don't print that many. It's just
> rare. It's only for printing colored web pages, e-mails, etc.

Brother makes full color laser printer for as little as $300. Maybe
cheaper, but I didn't spend too much time looking. You want a color
print? Take your camera's memory card down to Walmart and get a
quality priint for under $1!

nb
From: ray on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:04:36 -0700, Ant wrote:

> On 7/26/2010 7:43 AM PT, ray typed:

>>> Color lasers are expensive. :(
>>
>> Printers are quite inexpensive now. Color ink is expensive in terms of
>> consumables. IMHO, the best solution is: mono laser for day to day
>> printing (which, in my experience, is the vast majority) and a photo
>> ink jet for printing photos.
>
> How much is a new cheap laser color printer these days? When I bought
> this HP PhotoSmart printer in end of 2004, laser printers were pricey
> for me. It was to replace my Epson Stylus Color 880 printer (it sucked
> like you guys mentioned with its ink and annoying cleanings).
>
> As for color photographs/photos., I don't print that many. It's just
> rare. It's only for printing colored web pages, e-mails, etc.

You know, you can find out a lot on the internet. A quick check at
officemax.com shows a Samsung CLP-315W color laser for $249.99 - a
similar check at staples.com shows a refurbished Brother HL-0440CN color
laser for $249.99 - with $50 rebate for net of $199.99

So, to answer your question, you should certainly be able to find a color
laser for less than $250 - probably under $200 if you look a little.