From: Tim vor der Brück on
annalissa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
> drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

Hi,

I can really recommend HPLIP. It also provides a toolbox
you can clean your cartridges with and check
the ink level.

Best regards,

Tim
From: Joe Beanfish on
On 07/24/10 19:56, Phil Gilmer wrote:
> annalissa wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
>> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
>> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
>> drivers available for linux and BSD.
>> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
>> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
>> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>>
>> how correct is his argument ?
>> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
>> driver support for its devices ?
>>
>> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>>
>> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?
>
> I am using a Brother MFC-7840W Laser Wireless All-in-One. I have it
> attached to my network via wireless NIC (it supports wired as well) and
> print through CUPS. Linux drivers are available from Brother's web site
> for both printer and scanner functions (FAX is not currently supported).
>
> I use Mepis 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5 on several machines and have had no trouble
> setting up printing on virtual machines as well for Ubuntu and others.
>
> I have been extremely pleased with this setup. Unlike HP, toner and drum
> are separate, so you only have to buy what you need.
>
> Brother also supports Windows.

Personally I'm avoiding Brother from now on. I bought a MFC-9420CN a
while back. It worked well, until the bug-of-death. Apparently their
motherboard has a so-called "bug" which breaks the print function at
some random point. Scan and fax continue to work but no printing.
It shows a lie about missing tray 1 on the display. But the page
counter shows the magic 2888888 meaning it has hit the "bug" and
will no longer print. Only real solution is to buy a new motherboard
for around $200. Copious discussion on the net about it.
From: ray on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:36:09 +0200, Tim vor der Brück wrote:

> annalissa wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
>> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard Linux Imaging project) where H.P
>> developers work to make open source drivers available for linux and
>> BSD.
>> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers works
>> on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
>> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>>
>> how correct is his argument ?
>> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
>> driver support for its devices ?
>>
>> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>>
>> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I can really recommend HPLIP. It also provides a toolbox you can clean
> your cartridges with and check the ink level.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tim

As does 'mtink' for Epson.
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
Ant <ant(a)zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Color lasers are expensive. :(

A cheap color laser printer might be a little bit more expensive than a
color inkjet. However for both lasers and inkjets a complete set of
consumables for cheap printers often costs more than the printer did.

Considering this it becomes important to look at the cost per printed
page, also when you don't print many pages.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: ShadowTek on
On 2010-07-26, notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-26, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> There was something seriously amiss with that printer. I've never seen
>> one do that.
>
> Agreed. I have a cheapo Brother laser and it's clean as a whistle.

It was an OKI Page 14e.

I've also known other people that have had such problems with laser
printers, so didn't want to chance wasting money on another one that
would also cause problems.