From: Joe Pfeiffer on
ShadowTek <ShadowTek(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 2010-07-27, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> writes:
>>
>>> The OKI printer is not really a laser, it is a LED printer.
>>
>> So far as toner is concerned, that's a detail that doesn't matter. It
>> doesn't affect either his point (that a cloud of toner was emitted by
>> the printer) or mine (that something was seriously wrong with that
>> printer).
>
> If there happens to be some design aspect that suggests a probability of
> uncleanliness, I'd like to know what it might be so I'll know what to
> avoid.

Me too -- what about LEDs vs. laser would suggest this?
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
ShadowTek <ShadowTek(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 2010-07-27, Joe Pfeiffer <pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
>> Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqvist(a)deadspam.com> writes:
>>
>>> The OKI printer is not really a laser, it is a LED printer.
>>
>> So far as toner is concerned, that's a detail that doesn't matter. It
>> doesn't affect either his point (that a cloud of toner was emitted by
>> the printer) or mine (that something was seriously wrong with that
>> printer).
>
> If there happens to be some design aspect that suggests a probability of
> uncleanliness, I'd like to know what it might be so I'll know what to
> avoid.

I don't think that it matters if there is laser or LED technology used to
control the charges of the drum. However, there are also different ways to
remove excessive toner from the drum, those might affect your problem. I
also know of printers which have something called an ozone filter. Maybe
the lack of such a filter might explain your problem?

There might also many times be a connection between quality and price.
Usually LED printers are low price products.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: Ant on
On 7/26/2010 8:49 AM PT, ray typed:

>>> Printers are quite inexpensive now. Color ink is expensive in terms of
>>> consumables. IMHO, the best solution is: mono laser for day to day
>>> printing (which, in my experience, is the vast majority) and a photo
>>> ink jet for printing photos.
>>
>> How much is a new cheap laser color printer these days? When I bought
>> this HP PhotoSmart printer in end of 2004, laser printers were pricey
>> for me. It was to replace my Epson Stylus Color 880 printer (it sucked
>> like you guys mentioned with its ink and annoying cleanings).
>>
>> As for color photographs/photos., I don't print that many. It's just
>> rare. It's only for printing colored web pages, e-mails, etc.
>
> You know, you can find out a lot on the internet. A quick check at
> officemax.com shows a Samsung CLP-315W color laser for $249.99 - a
> similar check at staples.com shows a refurbished Brother HL-0440CN color
> laser for $249.99 - with $50 rebate for net of $199.99
>
> So, to answer your question, you should certainly be able to find a color
> laser for less than $250 - probably under $200 if you look a little.

Wow, a lot cheaper than back in 2004. I remember seeing like prices for
good, cheap color laser printers near $1,000. I will investigate again
when my old printer needs to be replaced (still works).
--
"Look not to the windmill's turning while the ant still burrows." --unknown
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)