From: ray on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:13:14 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2010-07-22, ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
>> varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.
>
> Yep. Now, with CUPS, it's shockingly simple. I think it took about 30
> seconds to see/config my Brother 1440 printer. As for Canon, I don't
> understand that company. I love Canon cameras, but they should be
> flogged around the fleet for their stance on Linux, which as you say, is
> zero to none. It's becoming just plain embarrassing a major electronics
> company would shun an platform with millions of users. I don't know
> about their printers, but the easiest way to deal with their cameras is
> to take the camera out of the equation and just plug the memory card in
> a card reader.
>
> nb

I routinely use a memory card reader. It's often faster anyway and
certainly saves the camera battery.

I also don't buy anything Canon - until they straighten their act out.
From: annalissa on
On Jul 22, 2:14 pm, root <NoEM...(a)home.org> wrote:
> notbob <not...(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> > On 2010-07-22, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>
> >> Epson Stylus Photo R350. Samsung, Brother, and Lexmark all provide
> >> varying levels of support. Canon provides zero.
>
> > Yep.  Now, with CUPS, it's shockingly simple.  I think it took about
> > 30 seconds to see/config my Brother 1440 printer.  As for Canon, I
> > don't understand that company.  I love Canon cameras, but they should
> > be flogged around the fleet for their stance on Linux, which as you
> > say, is zero to none.  It's becoming just plain embarrassing a major
> > electronics company would shun an platform with millions of users.  I
> > don't know about their printers, but the easiest way to deal with
> > their cameras is to take the camera out of the equation and just plug
> > the memory card in a card reader.
>
> > nb
>
> I got a friend to consider linux until she found her
> Canon high resolution printer was not fully supported.
> She stuck with Windows. Good reason to always avoid
> Canon.

What about Nova 36 e vidar scanner ?

Does anyone knows about any linux support for this scanner ???
Their website doesn't mentions anything about linux
http://support.vidar.com/swcompatibility/default.htm
From: Henrik Carlqvist on
annalissa <aarklon(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What about Nova 36 e vidar scanner ?
>
> Does anyone knows about any linux support for this scanner ???
> Their website doesn't mentions anything about linux
> http://support.vidar.com/swcompatibility/default.htm

The place to look for scanner support in Linux is
http://www1.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Nope, the Nova vidar scanner isn't listed so you assume that it is most
likely not supported.

regards Henrik
root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

From: annalissa on
On Jul 23, 7:12 am, Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.Carlqv...(a)deadspam.com>
wrote:
> annalissa <aark...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about Nova 36 e vidar scanner ?
>
> >  Does anyone knows about any linux support for this scanner ???
> >  Their website doesn't mentions anything about linux
> >  http://support.vidar.com/swcompatibility/default.htm
>
> The place to look for scanner support in Linux ishttp://www1.sane-project..org/sane-mfgs.html
>
> Nope, the Nova vidar scanner isn't listed so you assume that it is most
> likely not supported.
>
> regards Henrik
> --
> The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
> hc3(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
> root(a)localhost postmaster(a)localhost

I think there should be a linux project which will produce a utility
very similar to ndiswrapper , so that we can use windows scanner
drivers for linux as well or in other words we can use win scanners in
linux as well
From: B Sellers on
On 07/22/2010 12:35 AM, annalissa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My friend is of the argument that he will buy only H.P printers,
> because of the HPLIP (Hewlett Packard
> Linux Imaging project) where H.P developers work to make open source
> drivers available for linux and BSD.
> This is probably the only instance where the device manufacturers
> works on fully free open sourced projects which support the full
> functionality (not merely the just works bit)
>
> how correct is his argument ?
> does this mean that HP is the only Printer company that provides Linux
> driver support for its devices ?
>
> what about the epson associate avasys (http://www.avasys.jp) ?
>
> Is there any other company which provides similar support ?

Well I bought an Epsom NX515 inkjet with scanner and copying
function. With my recent install of Mandriva 2010 Spring I was able
to get it fully functional with the drivers from the Epson associate Avasys.

<http://www.avasys.jp>

I also had to seek out information on the net about getting
x-sane working but at least the scanner was visible to the computer
and vice versa which had not been the case previously on 2009.1.

later
bliss