From: Antti on
Hi

my co-worker has a problem with EDK (used on w7, 32bit)
OLD project can be built but any new projexcts created stop
during implementation

xilinx claims that the following table
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm

is UPTODATE OS support list for Xilinx tools, in that table win7 is
missing

so what is wrong? is there something wrong with the installation, but
hey
why then old projects pass full flow?

any ideas?

Antti

From: Ed McGettigan on
On Feb 15, 11:10 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> my co-worker has a problem with EDK (used on w7, 32bit)
> OLD project can be built but any new projexcts created stop
> during implementation
>
> xilinx claims that the following tablehttp://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm
>
> is UPTODATE OS support list for Xilinx tools, in that table win7 is
> missing
>
> so what is wrong? is there something wrong with the installation, but
> hey
> why then old projects pass full flow?
>
> any ideas?
>
> Antti

Win7 isn't a supported OS for ISE tools and it is not listed in the
table.

The tools may work under some conditions, but they likely will not
under all conditions as your co-worker found out.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.

From: maxascent on
Have you tried running ISE using Windows 7 compatibilty mode. I found that
some of the programs that I used to run in XP wouldnt run in 7 unless I
used the compatibility mode.

Jon

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Antti on
On Feb 16, 7:21 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 11:10 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi
>
> > my co-worker has a problem with EDK (used on w7, 32bit)
> > OLD project can be built but any new projexcts created stop
> > during implementation
>
> > xilinx claims that the following tablehttp://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm
>
> > is UPTODATE OS support list for Xilinx tools, in that table win7 is
> > missing
>
> > so what is wrong? is there something wrong with the installation, but
> > hey
> > why then old projects pass full flow?
>
> > any ideas?
>
> > Antti
>
> Win7 isn't a supported OS for ISE tools and it is not listed in the
> table.
>
> The tools may work under some conditions, but they likely will not
> under all conditions as your co-worker found out.
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.

Hi

and thanks for clarification, I could not belive the table to be
accurate
as of today everybody DOES support w7 already ;) ok maybe not
all companies do, but most other software does run nicely on w7

Antti

From: Ed McGettigan on
On Feb 16, 9:10 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 7:21 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 15, 11:10 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi
>
> > > my co-worker has a problem with EDK (used on w7, 32bit)
> > > OLD project can be built but any new projexcts created stop
> > > during implementation
>
> > > xilinx claims that the following tablehttp://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm
>
> > > is UPTODATE OS support list for Xilinx tools, in that table win7 is
> > > missing
>
> > > so what is wrong? is there something wrong with the installation, but
> > > hey
> > > why then old projects pass full flow?
>
> > > any ideas?
>
> > > Antti
>
> > Win7 isn't a supported OS for ISE tools and it is not listed in the
> > table.
>
> > The tools may work under some conditions, but they likely will not
> > under all conditions as your co-worker found out.
>
> > Ed McGettigan
> > --
> > Xilinx Inc.
>
> Hi
>
> and thanks for clarification, I could not belive the table to be
> accurate
> as of today everybody DOES support w7 already ;) ok maybe not
> all companies do, but most other software does run nicely on w7
>
> Antti- Hide quoted text -

ISE 11.1 was released in April while Windows 7 wasn't released until
October.

While smaller companies and academia tend to move faster with Windows
OS upgrades as the tend to use the OS sold with the PC/Laptop larger
companies in constrast don't rapidly upgrade the OS and prefer to stay
with older, stable versions.

A quick survey of other EDA tools shows

Synopsys Synplify Pro - Win XP, Win Vista, Linux, Solaris
Mentor ModelSim PE - Win XP, Win Vista (32)
Mentor ModelSim SE - Win XP, Win Vista (32), Linux (32)
Mentor ModelSim DE - Win XP, Win Vista (32/64), Linux (32/64), Solaris
(32/64)
Altera Quatrus II 9.1 - Win XP, Win Vista, Red Hat 4/5, Suse 9/10,
CentOS 4/5
Lattice ispLever - Win 2K, Win XP, Win Vista (32), Red hat 3/4, Suse
10, Solaris 2.8/10
Actel Libero - Win XP, Win Vista, Red Hat WS 4/5.2

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.