From: Kay on
Hi,

Can anyone who has used any or all of these keyboards offer some feedback on
the use of these MIDI keyboards with SONAR please?. I am particularly
interested in whether and how they improve the workflow for working with
SONAR (also Reason, FL Studio and Reaper if you have them) and VST
instruments and effects beyond what the standard keyboard/mouse experience
offers.

I've spent a few minutes with all of them in a shop and I think I can live
with any of the keyboards (although strangely the Oxygen had the 'firmest'
feel despite the Axiom being sold as semi-weighted). I noticed that only the
Oxygen and Axiom had dedicated transport control buttons (i.e. play, stop
etc). On price, the Axiom (the dearest) is over 88% more expensive than the
Oxygen mk2 (the cheapest) yet, the only major difference I can see is the
addition of eight drum pads and the presence of rotary encoders rather than
standard knobs (I prefer the encoders but it's not a deal-breaker for me).
XBoard has standard knobs too btw

Helpful feedback/comments about build, reliability, even alternative
keyboard controllers that I should be looking at (even cheap synths - a mate
suggested a used Alesis QS for instance) etc are most welcome too. Oh, 61+
keys only please.

Kay

From: Sue Morton on
Hi Kay, how you are planning to use the keyboard with Sonar? In a solo
composing situation (at home, at leisure), studio situation solo or perhaps
with a few musicians (e.g. live tracking), or playing and recording live
(e.g. on stage)?
--
Sue Morton

From: Kay on
>> Kay wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone who has used any or all of these keyboards offer some
>> feedback on the use of these MIDI keyboards with SONAR please?. I am
>> particularly interested in whether and how they improve the workflow
>> for working with SONAR (also Reason, FL Studio and Reaper if you have
>> them) and VST instruments and effects beyond what the standard
>> keyboard/mouse experience offers.

> Sue Morton wrote:
> Hi Kay, how you are planning to use the keyboard with Sonar? In a solo
> composing situation (at home, at leisure), studio situation solo or
> perhaps with a few musicians (e.g. live tracking), or playing and
> recording live (e.g. on stage)?
> --
> Sue Morton

Hi Sue,

Home studio environment. Mostly working solo but, sometimes with others
(vocals, woodwind and/or guitar). Definitely not for live use (I'd rather
get a separate controller + flightcase for live use - even if it's the same
model).

From a build quality perspective, the keyboard will be 'borrowed' for 1-2
hours daily for piano lesson/practice. Occasionally, it might be moved to
other locations temporarily although this will still be in "home studio"or
"keyboard lesson/practise" environments.

Kay

From: Kay on
Hi again,

It seems no one here has had any experience with any of these keyboards.
I've kinda dropped the Oxygen off the shortlist anyway as I just found out
it lacks aftertouch (despite what the sales guys claimed). I also found this
M-Audio controller user group that just confirms what I already know (the
M-Audio stuff Axiom/Oxygen are well supported):

Sadly, I've found nothing on the EMU Xboard 61 so far (on the workflow
perspective). I doubt it can affect the workflow much given it's relative
paucity of control widgets but, it has a decent keyboard + the Proteus soft
synth so, I'd really like some comparative info seeing as I could snag an
extra VSTi, disk drive, or an upgraded firewire audio interface for the
difference in price... ;-)

Kay

From: Sue Morton on
Hi Kay,

Sorry I couldn't help, I use a Yamaha Motif ES-88 and even lug it around
occasionally (100+ lbs without the case!). That's why I asked for more
particulars, hoping someone would be in a similar situation as what you
described and could give you information.

However, your opening post mentions asking about the keyboards with respect
to "how they help with workflow". Since this is such an individual
preference and there are as many ways to do it as are opinions on how to do
it :-), it's a bit vague what you're looking for?

What interactions with Sonar and workflow are you concerned about? Perhaps
if we can pin it down someone can help you further.
--
Sue Morton