From: malachi on
I re-demoed my song "Ain't It Strange How Things Turn Out" using Reaper and
posted it at:

http://www.myspace.com/johntrentes

and

http://www.soundclick.com/johntrentes (better sound quality)

Original file was recorded at 24/48 and mastered/converted to mp3 in
Wavelab.

DAW front end consisted of a Frontier Tango 24 convertor into a digidesign
002rack, both clocked externally by a dbx 386 (wordclock to Tango, spdif to
002rack).

Guitar and Mandolin were recorded direct through a Joemeek VC1Q

Vocals were recorded with a Studio Projects C1 through a Studio Projects
VTB1.

Conclusion:

I am totally shocked at the ease with which I was able to track, comp and
mix in Reaper, while ending up with the best sound quality I have ever
achieved in on of my recordings.

It ran efficiently, didn't crash and performed each and every task without
any unexpected results.

I ended up with the big, open clear sound that I've unsuccessfully tried to
wring out of several other apps for a long time now. Go listen for
yourself.

I am totally sold on this program and I plan to use it as my primary
recording app from now on.

malachi

From: Steve Karl on
Nice work.
The big open sound is noticable.

I think I'm gonna have to try Reaper.

Thanks,

Steve

From: malachi on

"Steve Karl" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Nice work.
> The big open sound is noticable.
>
> I think I'm gonna have to try Reaper.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I didn't used to think that you'd find much difference in sound quality
because of the application, but I used the same front end I was using for
PTLE and the sound is vastly different in a good way.

OK, I've done enough raving about Reaper here. Any more and I'm going to be
a genuine troll for it.

It's good. Try it.

I'm done now. :)

malachi

From: Sue Morton on
Steve I'm interested in your findings. I know you do a TON of midi work,
much more complex than I do, but we use a lot of the same types of
facilities. I'm so tired of Sonar crashing or behaving weird until I reboot
(not always originates with Sonar, I know, but I'm after a clean working
*environment*)... anyway please let us know what you think, it's the midi
aspect that's holding me back. I just don't have any time right now to
'play' or I'd just go get it and see for myself. Thanks Steve.

Great report John the app sounds very promising.
--
Sue Morton

From: polymod on

"Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
> Steve I'm interested in your findings. I know you do a TON of midi work,
> much more complex than I do, but we use a lot of the same types of
> facilities. I'm so tired of Sonar crashing or behaving weird until I
reboot
> (not always originates with Sonar, I know, but I'm after a clean working
> *environment*)...

Sue,
I feel for you :-)
But even tho my work is quite different from Steve, I still do most of my
work with midi. A lot of it.
I'm puzzled to why you have had so much problems with Sonar.
Stability was the main reason I moved *to* Sonar from my previous app.
I'm just curious to the ways that you are using Sonar that has given you so
much trouble.

Poly