From: Steve Karl on
Hi Sue,

I've got the same thoughts as poly on this.
Sonar hasn't crashed for me for ever it seems.

Anyway, my main conscern in Reaper would be midi also.
It'll be a while before I can get to a test though.
I've gotta finish some work already started and even though I ~seem to be~ in the last
32 bars there's no telling .... as of yet.

I'll definately report back when I do try it.

Steve

From: Frank l on
I'll have to ditto Poly and Steve except for the trying Reaper part, been
there, not for me, not even close, Only problems I have ever had with Sonar
have been my fault not Sonars, .
Frank L

From: malachi on
I have to admit that I'm much more concerned about the audio portion of the
program than the midi. I only ever use the most basic midi functions
anyway, so your experience might be to find Reaper wanting in that regard.

It has a pretty reliable piano roll editing view that I found stable and
intuitive, but your requirements may exceed mine.

FWIW, the violin in the track I linked to in the original post were done
with a sound font in sfz. I edited the volume and pitch curves a bit via
mouse in the piano roll window.

malachi

From: Sue Morton on
Well, let's see. Besides the numerous bugs I've reported to Cake, of which
are still not fixed in S7 and were 'gotchas' to the point I had to take
audio tracks over to Audition to finish the project... I've posted those
bugs many times here so I don't want to get going on that again. Suffice it
so say I was able to prove to Cake's satisfaction that they are bugs, some
environment -- as I said before, not necessarily originating with Sonar but
troublesome just the same. I spend way too much of my time trying to figure
out why something I think should work, doesn't, or only works intermittently
and I can't find what the deciding factor is. True sometimes it's pilot
error but just as often (or more often), not.

I don't know that I can find anything better for my needs than Sonar but I'm
always looking. I hate having a deadline and not being able to just sit
down and work. Much of the time that doesn't happen.
--
Sue Morton

From: Ben Goldman on
malachi wrote:
> "Steve Karl" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Nice work.
>> The big open sound is noticable.
>>
>> I think I'm gonna have to try Reaper.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I didn't used to think that you'd find much difference in sound quality
> because of the application, but I used the same front end I was using for
> PTLE and the sound is vastly different in a good way.
>
> OK, I've done enough raving about Reaper here. Any more and I'm going to be
> a genuine troll for it.
>
> It's good. Try it.
>
> I'm done now. :)
>
> malachi

I noticed that the sample project used ogg vorbis files for audio clips.
They're considered by many to be superior to MP3. I'm guessing you
like the codec better. ;)

--
Cheers,
BenJamin