From: Neil Jones on
Hello,

At work we found an old Dell PowerEdge server with 4GB of RAM and 2x70
GB disks. I want to install several Windows VMs for testing purposes.
I know Windows on a stand alone system wants 1+ GB of RAM. My questions
now are:

1. How many Windows VMs can I run simutaneously on this hardware?

2. How much memory should I allocate to the Windows VM during creation?
Windows will say minimum 2GB for W2K3 Server. Is that how much memory
I got to allocate for the VM as well?

3. For a $3K budget, what Dell server would be ideal for a ESX server
that will last for couple of years? (Planning on having 48GB or 64GB
memory).

Thank you in advance for any help/advice.

NJ