From: GrailKing on
I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech but all he
did was replace the modem and check levels at the GB.

I ping my router, local host all computers connected to the router and
all the pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms for LH to 15 ms for
the computers connected to the router.

I ping the primary DNS and I get real long wait periods for the pings to
come back with any where from 2 to for packets not returned, I ping
different sites: cnn, fox, astra news and they all come back with lost
packets and long times.

1. what else can I check on my end?

2. Is this a problem in the main lines and ComCast has to come back?

GK
From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.setup, GrailKing <grailking(a)invalid.net> wrote:

> I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech
> but all he did was replace the modem and check levels at the
> GB.
>
> I ping my router, local host all computers connected to the
> router and all the pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms
> for LH to 15 ms for the computers connected to the router.
>
> I ping the primary DNS and I get real long wait periods for the
> pings to come back with any where from 2 to for packets not
> returned, I ping different sites: cnn, fox, astra news and they
> all come back with lost packets and long times.
>
> 1. what else can I check on my end?
>
> 2. Is this a problem in the main lines and ComCast has to come
> back?
>
> GK

I'd find someone else with comcast (find another provider
if you can -- clearwire is good if you have it in your
area) in your immediate neighborhood and see if they
are having similar problems.

Sid

From: Bit Twister on
On 14 Apr 2010 02:07:21 GMT, GrailKing wrote:
> I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech but all he
> did was replace the modem and check levels at the GB.

Hmm, I can not remember if it was Comcast who was migrating to ipv6.

> I ping my router, local host all computers connected to the router and
> all the pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms for LH to 15 ms for
> the computers connected to the router.

That sounds like dns getting in the way.
Router vendor/model might get you help. I know I went ahead and set
all my systems static and gave all systems a etc/hosts file with all
LAN nodes and there ip addy.

$ head -5 /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.1.1 gateway.home.test cm
192.168.1.130 wm80.home.test wm80
192.168.1.131 wm81.home.test wm81
192.168.1.138 wb.home.test wb

> I ping the primary DNS and I get real long wait periods for the pings to
> come back with any where from 2 to for packets not returned, I ping
> different sites: cnn, fox, astra news and they all come back with lost
> packets and long times.

traceroute -In
traceroute -I
might give different information. Remember some routers can be setup
to block your trace routes.

I just tried cnn.com and lost packets starting at hop 11.
$ traceroute -In cnn.com
traceroute to cnn.com (157.166.224.25), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 0.416 ms 0.547 ms 0.988 ms
2 71.164.184.1 8.038 ms 9.500 ms 9.558 ms
3 130.81.110.186 12.174 ms 12.352 ms 12.404 ms
4 130.81.28.210 14.313 ms 14.492 ms 14.536 ms
5 152.63.96.49 17.562 ms 17.608 ms 17.661 ms
6 152.63.96.85 17.446 ms 152.63.97.81 16.937 ms 152.63.96.85 17.489 ms
7 4.68.111.121 15.287 ms 4.68.111.173 11.482 ms 11.715 ms
8 4.69.145.180 16.704 ms 17.141 ms 17.096 ms
9 4.69.134.22 42.072 ms 40.300 ms 40.127 ms
10 4.68.103.46 37.696 ms 39.452 ms 39.327 ms
11 * * *

> 1. what else can I check on my end?

Always helps to give distribution and release level when posting questions.
That may get you more detailed information.

$ grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf

Example from my setup.
hosts: files dns

Verify some avahi* daemon/service is not running.
No idea if you have named/bind running.
Your dns servers, in /etc/resolv.conf and it's contents if it has a
search keyword.

For fun, just change first nameserver 208.67.220.220 in /etc/resolv.conf
and run your traceroute again. If much better, go ahead and change
your setup to use 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
For more about those dns values, http://opendns.org/
From: Matt Giwer on
On 04/13/2010 10:07 PM, GrailKing wrote:
> I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech but all he
> did was replace the modem and check levels at the GB.
> I ping my router, local host all computers connected to the router and
> all the pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms for LH to 15 ms for
> the computers connected to the router.
> I ping the primary DNS and I get real long wait periods for the pings to
> come back with any where from 2 to for packets not returned, I ping
> different sites: cnn, fox, astra news and they all come back with lost
> packets and long times.
> 1. what else can I check on my end?
> 2. Is this a problem in the main lines and ComCast has to come back?

Annoying problems are they not?

The one thing you have not checked is your router for outbound connections. I
have no idea how routers are designed but worth checking simply as a standard
trouble shooting procedure. Can you borrow one from a neighbor?

Also to check, is modem you were given new or an old model? I do not see it
losing packets no matter how old but a defective spare the serviceman carried
is not out of the question. So can you borrow the neighbor's modem also?

Actually losing packets is the mystery.

If you can get the CNN numerical address, ping that instead. That will
eliminate the DNS computer. Is that dig? I haven't done this in a while. If
the number works the server is the problem.

Looking at the man page try -w and -W to see if the packets will return
eventually. Slow is not lost. I have no idea what to do with this information
but it is a data point.

Did you show the visiting technician the problem? Why not? He should have had
a router as part of his trouble shooting inventory.

--
If it were not for Nazi Germany the US would have to be
creative inventing excuses for new wars of aggression.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Apr 14, 4:43 am, Matt Giwer <jul...(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2010 10:07 PM, GrailKing wrote:
>
> > I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech but all he
> > did was replace the modem and check levels at the GB.
> > I ping my  router, local host all computers connected to the router and
> > all the pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms for LH to 15 ms for
> > the computers connected to the router.
> > I ping the primary DNS and I get real long wait periods for the pings to
> > come back with any where from 2 to for packets not returned, I ping
> > different sites: cnn, fox, astra news and they all come back with lost
> > packets and long times.
> > 1. what else can I check on my end?
> > 2. Is this a problem in the main lines and ComCast has to come back?
>
>         Annoying problems are they not?
>
>         The one thing you have not checked is your router for outbound connections. I
> have no idea how routers are designed but worth checking simply as a standard
> trouble shooting procedure. Can you borrow one from a neighbor?
>
>         Also to check, is modem you were given new or an old model? I do not see it
> losing packets no matter how old but a defective spare the serviceman carried
> is not out of the question. So can you borrow the neighbor's modem also?
>
>         Actually losing packets is the mystery.
>
>         If you can get the CNN numerical address, ping that instead. That will
> eliminate the DNS computer. Is that dig? I haven't done this in a while. If
> the number works the server is the problem.
>
>         Looking at the man page try -w and -W to see if the packets will return
> eventually. Slow is not lost. I have no idea what to do with this information
> but it is a data point.
>
>         Did you show the visiting technician the problem? Why not? He should have had
> a router as part of his trouble shooting inventory.

Comcast is infamous, in my book for a number of fascinating issues.
One is trying the easy fix that's on the top of the list of
procedures, seeing that it passes their diagnostics, and assuming
they're done. Another is ignoring reports of intermittent problems and
assuming that because it works during their test, it was working
earlier. Another is that they've bought up a lot of smaller ISP's and
cable companies over the years, and wound up with weird mish-moshes of
equipment, some of which is hard to test or monitor.

That said, I wonder if your entire home network is zombie and virus
free. Can you test with one machine on your home network turned on at
a time, and be sure that this occurs for all of them individually? One
machine running Bittorrent quietly in the background can suck a *lot*
of bandwidth, and it's easy not to notice.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: FTP Setup
Next: ESX hardware configuration