From: Matt Giwer on
On 04/14/2010 03:17 PM, GrailKing wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:43:52 -0400, Matt Giwer wrote:
>
>> On 04/13/2010 10:07 PM, GrailKing wrote:
>>> I have extremely slow cable connections, Comcast sent a tech but all he
>>> did was replace the modem and check levels at the GB. I ping my
>>> router, local host all computers connected to the router and all the
>>> pings come back the pings ranged from .05 ms for LH to 15 ms for the
>>> computers connected to the router. I ping the primary DNS and I get
>>> real long wait periods for the pings to come back with any where from 2
>>> to for packets not returned, I ping different sites: cnn, fox, astra
>>> news and they all come back with lost packets and long times.
>>> 1. what else can I check on my end?
>>> 2. Is this a problem in the main lines and ComCast has to come back?
>> Annoying problems are they not?
>> The one thing you have not checked is your router for outbound connections. I
>> have no idea how routers are designed but worth checking simply as a
>> standard trouble shooting procedure. Can you borrow one from a neighbor?
>> Also to check, is modem you were given new or an old model? I do not
>> see it
>> losing packets no matter how old but a defective spare the serviceman
>> carried is not out of the question. So can you borrow the neighbor's
>> modem also?
>> Actually losing packets is the mystery.
>> If you can get the CNN numerical address, ping that instead. That will
>> eliminate the DNS computer. Is that dig? I haven't done this in a while.
>> If the number works the server is the problem.
>> Looking at the man page try -w and -W to see if the packets will return
>> eventually. Slow is not lost. I have no idea what to do with this
>> information but it is a data point.
>> Did you show the visiting technician the problem? Why not? He
>> should have had a router as part of his trouble shooting inventory.

> He was over my shoulder,

And after seeing the problem he wished you good luck? That is not what a
serviceman should do. You might want to call again and give some feedback like
the problem was not fixed.

> I can get a spare router from work.
> been a long time since I had to deal with this stuff.

These days Linksys routers are for kids. Probably always were. Guessing blind
here if it was configured at work it it might have a fixed IP. You will need
to check if it set for DHCP.

--
Let my people go! was the Passover 2010 message from the Palestinians to Israel
-- The Iron Webmaster, 4252
From: Bit Twister on
On 15 Apr 2010 01:26:14 GMT, GrailKing wrote:

> I did that but forgot to mention it, I was running at 2mbs this afternoon
> and now at 8pm it's a crawl and I'm dropping packets to the primary and
> secondary DNS this is looking like a broken stinger or short connector in
> the lines, I'm changing the outside connectors and GB tomorrow and will
> see what happens tomorrow night.

Hardware problems on a nic should show up in the TX, RX and collisions
lines of the nic. Example:

$ ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:17:57:66:54
inet addr:192.168.1.132 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::216:17ff:fe57:6654/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:17811831 (16.9 MiB) TX bytes:1625153 (1.5 MiB)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0xe000
From: Bit Twister on
On 15 Apr 2010 01:26:14 GMT, GrailKing wrote:
> I did that but forgot to mention it, I was running at 2mbs this afternoon
> and now at 8pm it's a crawl and I'm dropping packets to the primary and
> secondary DNS

DNS problems can be isolated by hard coding different DNS values in
/etc/resolv.conf. Just change the first nameserver ip and try another
look up. Values to use for testing:

208.67.222.222
8.8.8.8
4.2.2.1

For some sites, it does not hurt to verify ISP to ISP connections/Latency.
http://www.internetpulse.net/
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: FTP Setup