From: ATK31 on

I came across a very peculiar phenomenon in OUTLOOK 2007.

I edit received messages by deleting the “history” (the previous
correspondence included by the sender) and leave only the new text written by
the sender. I then save the messages “AS PLAIN TEXT”. The motivation is to
keep the PST file small.

When I reopen one of those edited received messages, I notice that the
ENCODING is “Western European (Windows)”. When I change the ENCODING to “US
ASCII”, ALL THE DELETED TEXT REAPPEARS!

The described strange phenomenon implies that OUTLOOK didn't actually delete
the text removed when the received messages were edited, the deleted text was
just “hidden”. Hence, the PST file stores plenty of obsolete data. (The
deleted “history” in a message is usually much larger than the useful text
that I want to retain.)

Is there a way to REALLY DELETE the redundant text and keep only the data
that I need in plain text and thus to keep the PST file small?

Thank you for your help.

ATK