From: liquidator on
Daughter's band needs a couple of inexpensive direct boxes...a friend owning
a music store deals Whirlwind, I can get those cheap.

I think Mark at Audiopile had some EWI's that were cheap and darned good, I
remember those a from couple years back, gonna check if he still has
those...

Any other ideas? Just some stuff for weekend warriors.

From: Arny Krueger on
"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
> Daughter's band needs a couple of inexpensive direct
> boxes...a friend owning a music store deals Whirlwind, I
> can get those cheap.
> I think Mark at Audiopile had some EWI's that were cheap
> and darned good, I remember those a from couple years
> back, gonna check if he still has those...
>
> Any other ideas? Just some stuff for weekend warriors.

I picked up 3 or 4 Behringer ULTRA-DI DI400P Passive Direct Boxes a few
years back and they still all do their jobs.

From: Tim Perry on

"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
> Daughter's band needs a couple of inexpensive direct boxes...a friend
> owning a music store deals Whirlwind, I can get those cheap.
>
> I think Mark at Audiopile had some EWI's that were cheap and darned good,
> I remember those a from couple years back, gonna check if he still has
> those...
>
> Any other ideas? Just some stuff for weekend warriors.

Rapco DB 100

From: McSteve on
"liquidator" wrote:
> Daughter's band needs a couple of inexpensive direct boxes
> Any other ideas? Just some stuff for weekend warriors.

I have a couple of Rapco/Horizon STL-1 boxes. Two DIs
in one box, and it also works as a combiner for situations where
you have a stereo source but limited channel count.
Most online sellers have them at $55 USD. That's 27.50 per
channel with the added functionality of the combiner.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Krooburg Science on
On Dec 3, 5:15 am, "liquidator" <mi...(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote:
> Daughter's band needs a couple of inexpensive direct boxes...a friend owning
> a music store deals Whirlwind, I can get those cheap.
>
> I think Mark at Audiopile had some EWI's that were cheap and darned good, I
> remember those a from couple years back, gonna check if he still has
> those...
>
> Any other ideas? Just some stuff for weekend warriors.

Some of the suggestions for the budget DI's are good. The only caveat
that might make a cheap passive like the old industry standard
Whirlwind IMP2 a good choice is that a cheap active DI won't decouple
the electronics 100% which means you might not be able to solve
certain ground loop/noise problems even with the ground lifted. For
that reason, I'll recommend the IMP2 or a similar DI. While not the
best transformer out there for a passive, it does a decent job and has
saved me in the past when even some of the better quality active units
have not done the trick preventing noise. To get an active DI that has
an isolation transformer on output, you'd have to step up to a BSS, KT
or Countryman. Those units have the best of both worlds. As far as the
cheap actives go, they'll provide better input impedances and
frequency response compared to the cheap passive DI's, but then you
run the risk of unsolvable noise issues. Might be good to have a
couple of each.

K.