From: Wayne on
I got email forwarded from someone. How do I find out if the original email
message has been compromised?
From: Tom Willett on
Ask the originator of the email?

From: Toothsome Papa on
email is about as secure as these users groups

From: VanguardLH on
Wayne wrote:

> I got email forwarded from someone. How do I find out if the original email
> message has been compromised?

Was the original e-mail digitally signed? If so, did the one forwarding
the e-mail forward it as an attachment (to keep the digital hash intact)
or did they put it inline in the body of their new e-mail (which means
you NEVER get the original e-mail)?

Forwarding inline means you never get the original e-mail. Only part of
the original e-mail is shown in the inline copy, all headers are
stripped, and the values for a subset of them are shown in a pseudo
header prelude to the inline copy. When forwarding inline, the original
e-mail is never included.

If the original e-mail were attached, it could still be a modified copy.
What the e-mail client attached to the new e-mail is whatever the user
said to attach. The user could modify the original e-mail (even you can
do it using the Edit -> Edit Message menu) and then attach that modified
copy.

Only if the original sender digitally signed their message can it be
detected that the message has been altered. That means the originator
had to install an e-mail certificate in their e-mail client. That
sender must then have either configured their e-mail client to always
digitally sign their e-mails or they choose to digitally sign that
particular e-mail. The recipient cannot modify that e-mail without
corrupting the encoded hash value in that message. Of course, if they
forward inline then they are not including the original e-mail in the
first place so corrupting a digitally signed message is a non-issue.
The recipient of the digitally signed e-mail would have to forward as
*attachment* the original digitally signed e-mail for you to get an
uncorrupted copy of it. That's because when you extract the attached
digitally signed e-mail that it has the complete envelope for that
message and the hash for the digitally signed message can be verified.

So unless you know that the originator had digitally signed their
e-mail, you have no clue if you got a true copy of their message.
Inline forwarding never gives you the original e-mail. Attaching a
non-signed e-mail could be for a modified copy of the e-mail before it
got attached. Digitally signed by originator and forwarded as
attachment must both be used for you at the next recipient to know you
got the original e-mail.