From: NancyNancy on
And clearly, you have a serious attitude problem which does not belong in any
newsgroup! Clearly, they must make anyone an MVP these days.

Thanks so much for your help, Brian!

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> And clearly, you have a serious attitude problem which does not belong in
> any
> newsgroup! Clearly, they must make anyone an MVP these days.

What attitude would that be? If you had an Outlook problem, people would be
able to help. Since it's not an Outlook problem (or it wouldn't happen in
Internet Explorer), why are you asking here? How is what I said any
different, in substance, than what Slipstick said?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: VanguardLH on
NancyNancy wrote:

> dlw wrote:
>
>> NancyNancy wrote:
>>
>>> Office/Outlook 2007.
>>>
>>> When I open a blank email window to write an email, Outlook automatically is
>>> adding the lower case letter 'b' in the "To:" field. It continues on and on
>>> until the computer beeps and the field cannot hold any more text. I cannot
>>> control it. The only way out is to control-alt-delete and close Outlook.
>>>
>>> Also when opening any of the folders in "My Documents" (or any folder), the
>>> window opens and then the computer scrolls through everything in the folder
>>> at warp speed! Again, only way to stop is control-alt-delete.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Or help me put this into a search phrase so I can continue
>>> looking for answers? It does not look like a trojan...as far as I can tell
>>> (and I am pretty good at it) there does not seem to be unknown processes and
>>> I've done a scan with my "Hijack This" and the log looks good and the same as
>>> previous scans. I've also updated this week's security downloads from MS and
>>> rebooted many times.
>>
>> sounds like stuck keys on the keyboard, can you swap it out?
>
> I checked. Doesn't seem to be the keyboard. It's a laptop and if/when I can
> get the darn thing to quiet down, the keyboard works fine. For example, I
> can use the 'b' key to control-B to bold text and then use other keys after
> that.

Since we know NOW know you are using a laptop, have you tried disabling
its touchpad or adjusting its sensitivity? Often there is a button
along the border of the touchpad to let you disable it.

From your description, it sounds not that a "b" is getting added to the
To field but that the "b" key is stuck and repeating so you add an
entire string of b's in the default field (the To field is the default
field selected when you open the new-mail editor because you are
expected to specify at least one recipient). Sure sounds like a stuck
b-key to me, too. The problem with the over-sensitive touchpad usually
results in random character entry, not the same key constantly stuck
repeating itself.

That a wholly different program (Windows Explorer) also shows symptoms
of a stuck key (perhaps Ctrl+PgDn) really does indicate you have a
severe problem with they keyboard in your laptop or you are running some
program that is spewing out keystrokes. Have you tried rebooting into
Windows' Safe Mode (with networking) and retested?