From: sunorain on
If I save attachment from Outlook email into separate file, attachment file
gets date when it was saved, not when it was received actually by email
(though it should).

On the other side I noticed that some attachments (could not discover
pattern) are saved with their original date, not "moment of saving" date.

Are there any means to force Outlook to save attachment files with date /
time when message was received for easier sorting?
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Its fixed in Outlook 2003 and up on WinXP and better, at least for exchange
accounts. Otherwise, no, there isn't a way to force the date. If I recall
correctly, two weeks seemed to be the point when the behavior changed.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] on
"sunorain" <sunorain(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> If I save attachment from Outlook email into separate file, attachment file
> gets date when it was saved, not when it was received actually by email
> (though it should).

The file system kowns nothing about the properties of the message as a mail
item. When you convert that message to a file, its date will be the file
creation date, which is the date you save the message as a file. A mail
message is not a file until you save it.

> On the other side I noticed that some attachments (could not discover
> pattern) are saved with their original date, not "moment of saving" date.

This is natural because the attachment was originally a file. The encoding
process retains the original file date information when the message gets
attached and recreates that data when the attachment gets saved again as a
file.,

> Are there any means to force Outlook to save attachment files with date /
> time when message was received for easier sorting?

There are likely to be tools you can find on the Internet that will allow yo
to manipulate the file attributes. Google should find them for you. This all
begs the question, though, of why you want to keep the messages external to
Outlook and why you think that's better that leaving them in Outlook.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: sunorain on
Not sure I fully understand reply, on single user system (vista+office2007)
nothing is "fixed"

From: sunorain on
I miss your logic.
yes, FS doesn't know date - but Outlook should report it to FS by setting
correct date of file when it's saved.
And what is "natural" if some attachments get correct date and others do not?