From: Eero Volotinen on
On 12/30/09 8:49 PM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 1:43 PM, Port Able wrote:
>> I am currently consulting for a small retailer. They have been using
>> an online email service provider for the past few years to blast
>> personalized emails to their customers (opt-in, and 100-200 thousand
>> emails at a time). They have asked me to see if we can install an
>> email server in house to accomplish the same thing and eliminate the
>> monthly costs. I am fairly familiar with Linux/Unix and with
>> databases (mysql and postgresql). I have not done anything with
>> Sendmail or Postfix but feel comfortable following the documentation.
>> I have also ordered the two books that I could find on Postfix.
>>
>> My questions are: has anyone used Postfix for this purpose? Do the
>> online ESP's develop their own email servers? Do any of them use
>> Sendmail, Postfix or qmail?
>
> Postfix does not create any messages (minus administrative notices). It
> is simply the delivery vehicle.
>
> Software such as mailman or ezmlm is more suited to mailing lists.
> All such software can use Postfix to do the delivery.

Well. usually people use sql+php style software for generating this kind
of spam messages ;)

--
Eero

From: Port Able on
--- On Wed, 12/30/09, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> Software such as mailman or ezmlm is more suited to mailing lists.
> All such software can use Postfix to do the delivery.

Well. usually people use sql+php style software for generating this kind
of spam messages ;)

--
Eero

That is a good point.  Mailman and ezmlm are not suitable for the scenario we imagine.  The primary reason for us is that, membership is not going to be fixed but dynamic, i.e., not everyone will receive an email each time.

From: Port Able on
--- On Wed, 12/30/09, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

You really should ask this question on spam-l.  There is an ESP discussion
currently taking place.  Would be perfect timing.

Far more important that the software platform you choose to do this is your
deliverability.  Good ESPs know how to keep their customers mailings from
hitting DNSBLs and other black lists.  The last thing you want to do is set this
thing up, and on the first run get your IP address blacklisted by Spamhaus.

100K to 200K bulk mailings are not for amateurs.

One question:  are they not happy with the level of service their current ESP is
providing, or are they merely trying to cut costs?

--
Stan

Thanks for the link!  I will check it out.

To answer your question: it is a combination of both: they would like better integration with their CRM system, and the cost is really a reflection of the poor quality of service they are receiving.

From: Port Able on
--- On Wed, 12/30/09, Bryan Allen <bda(a)mirrorshades.net> wrote:
[a lot of useful points]

bda
cyberpunk is dead. long live cyberpunk.

This is very helpful information - thanks a bunch!  This gives me the confidence to go ahead to build a test environment based on Postfix.

From: LuKreme on
On 30-Dec-2009, at 11:43, Port Able wrote:
> are: has anyone used Postfix for this purpose?

Sure, lots of people.

> Do the online ESP's develop their own email servers?

Bwahahahahah! Um. No.

> Do any of them use Sendmail, Postfix or quail?

Almost certainly almost all of them use one of those.

<www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html>

--
I WILL NOT HANG DONUTS ON MY PERSON
Bart chalkboard Ep. 2F13