From: LuKreme on
On 30-Dec-2009, at 12:20, Brian Mathis wrote:
> I've not used mailmain or ezmlm for this purpose, but so called
> "mailing list software" that's available as open source is often meant
> to be used for having discussions with numerous people through email.
> Using systems like that as a bulk mailer is generally a really bad
> idea and requires a lot of intricate configuration to ensure no one
> can reply to the whole list, etc…

No, that's simply not true. Mailman works perfectly well for sending announcement only mailings, and it is trivial to setup a list so that subscribers cannot post.

Nothing tricksy or intricate about it.

--
The person on the other side was a young woman. Very obviously a
young woman. There was no possible way that she could have been

From: Jacqui Caren-home on
LuKreme wrote:
> On 30-Dec-2009, at 11:43, Port Able wrote:
>> Do the online ESP's develop their own email servers?
> Bwahahahahah! Um. No.

Excuse me!

A year or so ago we worked on a postfix mod to enable delivery rate
limiting and active MSP profile management. It did not work as well
as we hoped and we have since developed our own delivery systems.
Postfix is a great (probably the best IMHO) general purpose MTA but
for a highly specific (distributed) low overhead delivery system
designed to work within the (constantly changing) limitations specified
by MSPs the changes postfix required would have ended up as a re-write
to work with any decent performance.

I *know* other commercial MSP's (our competitors) also use custom
delivery subsystems although I think we are currently the only ones with
a distributed delivery system that uses active MSP delivery profiles
and MSP "delivery load balance" :-)

Jacqui

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Jacqui Caren-home put forth on 12/31/2009 5:28 PM:

> I *know* other commercial MSP's (our competitors) also use custom
> delivery subsystems although I think we are currently the only ones with
> a distributed delivery system that uses active MSP delivery profiles
> and MSP "delivery load balance" :-)

So you wrote your own custom MTA and sending cluster load balancing daemon from
scratch? Did you write them in C or Perl? How many hosts in this load balanced
sending cluster?

--
Stan

From: Port Able on
--- On Thu, 12/31/09, Jacqui Caren-home <jacqui.caren(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
for a highly specific (distributed) low overhead delivery system
designed to work within the (constantly changing) limitations specified
by MSPs the changes postfix required would have ended up as a re-write
to work with any decent performance.

If MSP's force you to throttle your delivery speed, how does a distributed delivery system help?  Since it is presumably intended to increase throughput/speed, it seems counter-intuitive as you will reach their limits faster.

I *know* other commercial MSP's (our competitors) also use custom
delivery subsystems although I think we are currently the only ones with
a distributed delivery system that uses active MSP delivery profiles
and MSP "delivery load balance" :-)

This is very interesting.  Can you share any info or background on MSP profiles and their load balancing requirements?