From: Adhal on
Hello,
First I did a search for this but couldn't find a solution. I have moved my Startup folder using
TweakUI. The items on the startup folder get executed on system startup as expected... however when
I got to start->All Programs->Startup I get an empty folder. When I go to the startup folder using
explorer I can see the items.

The folder is placed under "\Program Data\System\Startup", instead of the default location. If I got
to the default (user) location
"C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Start Menu\Programs", all I have is the following folders and
nothing else.

-Accessories
-Microsoft AppLocale
-Microsoft Web Publishing

How can I get it to display the items in the startup folder, even if it means resetting it to
default location I am happy.

Thank you
Adhal
From: Adhal on
Issue solved

--
Adhal
From: Tim Meddick on
If you move the location of the startup folder from where it *would* have
been visible (i.e. within the folder structure of the "Start Menu" ) then
obviously, you will only get to see the new "Startup" folder's location
(and it's contents) if you actually go and locate it in Widows Explorer.

That is to say (more simply);

The default "startup" folder is visible *because* it is located at :

%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

....*any* files / folders / shortcuts located within this ("Start Menu")
folder structure are visible by pressing the Start [button] and appear in
the "Start Menu"

(Likewise for "All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup")

But if you move the default location of the "Startup" folder so it no
longer appears within the folder structure called "Start Menu" in a user's
profile folder - then it will no longer be visible on the Start Menu
itself!

You cannot have it both ways.

Where ever you change the default location of the "Startup" folder,
although, if it's not within the "Start Menu" folder structure, and it will
not be visible on the Start Menu itself - even so - any links [shortcuts]
you place within the "Startup" folder *will* be executed nonetheless -
wherever it may be located. (i.e. you don't have to be able to "see" it in
the Start Menu for it to work)

But, if you want the "Startup" folder to be visible (like anything else on
the Start Menu) on the Start Menu - return the default location of the
"Startup" folder back to it's default location by using TweakUI again.

Back to: "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

But make sure that, wherever you make that location (using Tweak), that a
physical folder is at that location and the items you want to run at
startup are within that folder.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Adhal on
Already figured, but thanks. Still silly, though. I thought it would be linked to the menu same way
"All Users" profile listing is shown in my profile. Something in my mind made sure it would would
behave this way and I still think it should behave this way.

Oh well, c'est la vie

--
Adhal
From: Tim Meddick on
You could always move the location, not only of the "Startup" folder, but
also the "Start Menu" location as well!!

That way, as long as the new "Startup" folder's location is still within
that of the new "Start Menu" folder's location - you will be able to see it
on the Start Menu!

i.e.

Copy the entire "Start Menu" folder (including "Startup") to :

"\Program Data\System\Start Menu",

....then change both the default "Start Menu" & "Startup" folder's locations
in TweakUI to :

"\Program Data\System\Start Menu"

....and :

"\Program Data\System\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

....respectively. So the location WOULD change but you would still be able
to see the "Startup" folder in the "Start" button - "Start Menu" !!

(Just a thought!)

==