From: Alain Dekker on
I've got a wireless network adaptor that blue screens Windows XP SP3 if it
is enabled at startup. If I start up in Safe Mode, disable the device, then
restart normally, then re-enble the device it works fine.

Is there any way to start the device off disabled, maybe run a batch file to
enable it after a minute or so once Windows is fully booted and stable, then
disable it again just as I shut down the computer?

I know you can write a batch file to start/stop services, so maybe there is
something like this as well?

Many thanks,
Alain

From: Schloicka on

From: SC Tom on

"Alain Dekker" <abdekker(a)NOSPAM.fsmail.net> wrote in message
> I've got a wireless network adaptor that blue screens Windows XP SP3 if it
> is enabled at startup. If I start up in Safe Mode, disable the device,
> then restart normally, then re-enble the device it works fine.
>
> Is there any way to start the device off disabled, maybe run a batch file
> to enable it after a minute or so once Windows is fully booted and stable,
> then disable it again just as I shut down the computer?
>
> I know you can write a batch file to start/stop services, so maybe there
> is something like this as well?
>
> Many thanks,
> Alain

You can use a program called Startup Delayer from
http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay . I use it on my
Win7 (even though it's not listed) notebook to delay my Bluetooth and a temp
monitor program that were giving me errors on startup (luckily no blue
screens though). I have one delayed 10 seconds and the other 11 so there's
no overlap and gives everything else time to get started before they try to
start. Haven't had any problems with it or my startup since using it.
--
SC Tom

From: Bruce Chambers on
Alain Dekker wrote:
> I've got a wireless network adaptor that blue screens Windows XP SP3 if it
> is enabled at startup. If I start up in Safe Mode, disable the device, then
> restart normally, then re-enble the device it works fine.
>
> Is there any way to start the device off disabled, maybe run a batch file to
> enable it after a minute or so once Windows is fully booted and stable, then
> disable it again just as I shut down the computer?
>
> I know you can write a batch file to start/stop services, so maybe there is
> something like this as well?
>
> Many thanks,
> Alain

Others have given you some workarounds, but I can't help wondering why
you don't just fix the problem? Simply contact the Wireless Adapter's
manufacturer to obtain device drivers that are compatible with WinXP.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: SC Tom on

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> Alain Dekker wrote:
>> I've got a wireless network adaptor that blue screens Windows XP SP3 if
>> it is enabled at startup. If I start up in Safe Mode, disable the device,
>> then restart normally, then re-enble the device it works fine.
>>
>> Is there any way to start the device off disabled, maybe run a batch file
>> to enable it after a minute or so once Windows is fully booted and
>> stable, then disable it again just as I shut down the computer?
>>
>> I know you can write a batch file to start/stop services, so maybe there
>> is something like this as well?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Alain
>

> Others have given you some workarounds, but I can't help wondering why you
> don't just fix the problem? Simply contact the Wireless Adapter's
> manufacturer to obtain device drivers that are compatible with WinXP.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

That's a darn good idea, Bruce! Shame on me for assuming that Alain had
already tried that. :-(
--
SC Tom