From: W on
We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It
looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
get use of the full 4GB of memory?

From: airsmoothed on
On Mar 9, 7:40 pm, "W" <persistent...(a)spamarrest.com> wrote:
> We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
> Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that.   It
> looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
> 640 KB of memory?    Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
> get use of the full 4GB of memory?

32bit windows can't access the full 4GB, 3.61GB is good going. You
need a 64bit OS.

Ignore this if you're already using one.
From: John John - MVP on
W wrote:
> We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
> Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It
> looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
> 640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
> get use of the full 4GB of memory?

Unless you are using a 64-bit Windows client that is all that you will
be able to use. This is a memory address space problem inherent to all
32-bit Windows clients, on machines with 4GB of RAM installed the
available RAM will be anywhere between 2.75 GB (or even lower) to 3.5GB.
Other than yanking hardware out of the box to free address space for
the RAM there is nothing that you can do about it.

John
From: philo on
W wrote:
> We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
> Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It
> looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
> 640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
> get use of the full 4GB of memory?

Google PAE
From: airsmoothed on
On Mar 14, 3:26 pm, philo <ph...(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:
> W wrote:
> > We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
> > Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that.   It
> > looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
> > 640 KB of memory?    Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
> > get use of the full 4GB of memory?
>
> Google  PAE

That's interesting, but you still need a 64 bit OS by the looks of it.