From: Jeff D on
Did a clean install on a Gateway 3200XL, loaded all the updates and drivers.
Sound card works normally until I reboot, then no sound but the card is
still in device manager and displayed as working properly. I made sure the
motherboard sound chip was disabled in the bios, moved the Audigy sound card
to a different slot, made sure I had the latest driver, made sure mute is
not checked, that SoundBlaster is the default and that I had the "use only
default device" box checked in the audio tab and still no sound after a
reboot. If I uninstall the driver and then reinstall I get sound as long as
I don't reboot. During the reboot the sound chimes until I log in then the
sound is gone. I've also made sure I have all the drivers loaded for the
motherboard. I'm not sure what to try next, any help??

From: njem on
Well this is not much of an answer but it may be better than nothing.
I had the same problem with an old laptop. It wasn't worth putting
time into so I didn't. I had reloaded everything because of a crash,
so it wasn't windows being corrupted. I discovered that the sound
install file could be run from a batch with a /quiet switch so it just
ran in the background with no need for intervention. I put that in the
startup. Made the system busy for the first couple of minutes, but
then it worked. I didn't turn it off much, just put it into hibernate.
From: Jeff D. on

"njem" <njem(a)q.com> wrote in message
> Well this is not much of an answer but it may be better than nothing.
> I had the same problem with an old laptop. It wasn't worth putting
> time into so I didn't. I had reloaded everything because of a crash,
> so it wasn't windows being corrupted. I discovered that the sound
> install file could be run from a batch with a /quiet switch so it just
> ran in the background with no need for intervention. I put that in the
> startup. Made the system busy for the first couple of minutes, but
> then it worked. I didn't turn it off much, just put it into hibernate.

njem thanks for the reply, I went to sound card web site and after a few
driver tries found one that works. However I can't get WMP11 to work, no
sound. So right now I'm using iTunes which works fine and haven't figured
out what my issue is getting WMP11 to function. All it does when I select
either a cd, or pick an album from my library is scan the track list once
and then no sound or indication that it's playing a track. I posted in the
windowsmedia.player group looking for help but so far no response.