From: rc on
Hello group,

I am running out of space on my hard drive and want to migrate to a larger
one. Can I "copy" my current hard drive onto a larger one? Is it necessary
to purchase software to do so. PC running SP with all the SP packages.
Also would hate to have to reinstall the many programs involved. Thanks.

From: Bruce Chambers on
rc wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I am running out of space on my hard drive and want to migrate to a larger
> one. Can I "copy" my current hard drive onto a larger one? Is it necessary
> to purchase software to do so. PC running SP with all the SP packages.
> Also would hate to have to reinstall the many programs involved. Thanks.

Many hard drive manufacturers provide a free hard drive cloning utility
for just this purpose, when you purchase one of their products.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: airsmoothed on
On Mar 7, 5:25 pm, "rc" <rc(a)home> wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I am running out of space on my hard drive and want to migrate to a larger
> one.  Can I "copy" my current hard drive onto a larger one?  Is it necessary
> to purchase software to do so.  PC running SP with all the SP packages.
> Also would hate to have to reinstall the many programs involved.  Thanks.

I used Acronis trueimage to do exactly what you want to do, the fully
functional free trial lasts 30 days IIRC which was fine for my
purposes. i had the new HDD in a USB caddy, copied my C: drive to it
using Acronis then swapped the old HDD out for the one in the caddy.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
From: peter on
As Bruce said but sometimes it does not come with the
purchased HD and you need to go to the manufacturers
website to download it.
You install the program and hook your new HD up
When you run the program it "clones" your old drive to the new.
you then shut down and remove the old drive and connect the new
drive to the same connector as the old was connected to.
Then start up and all should run as intended...but as always there
are no guarantees...
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: rc on