From: Paul on
airsmoothed wrote:
> On Mar 14, 3:26 pm, philo <ph...(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> W wrote:
>>> We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
>>> Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It
>>> looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
>>> 640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
>>> get use of the full 4GB of memory?
>> Google PAE
>
> That's interesting, but you still need a 64 bit OS by the looks of it.

PAE would work just fine.

The reason you can't have more than 4GB, is because Microsoft wants
it that way. Example here.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm

Paul
From: John John - MVP on
airsmoothed wrote:
> On Mar 14, 3:26 pm, philo <ph...(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> W wrote:
>>> We have a Compaq W8000 workstation with 4 GB of memory installed.
>>> Unfortunately Windows can only retrieve and use about 3.61 GB of that. It
>>> looks like the BIOS of various cards might be locking up part of the first
>>> 640 KB of memory? Can anyone give some advice on how to get Windows to
>>> get use of the full 4GB of memory?
>> Google PAE
>
> That's interesting, but you still need a 64 bit OS by the looks of it.

Or a server version:

Current crop of Microsoft 32-bit operating systems that can utilise more
than 4GB of RAM with the use of Physical Address Extension:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server - 8 processors and 8 GB RAM
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server - 32 processors and 32 GB RAM
(support for 64 GB was not offered because of a lack of systems for testing)

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 32 GB RAM
Windows Server 2003 SP1, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 64 GB RAM
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 64 GB RAM
Windows Server 2003 SP1, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 128 GB RAM

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 8 processors and 64 GB
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter 64 processors and 64 GB

Windows Server 2008 is Microsoft's last 32-bit server operating system,
Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only.

John

From: philo on
John John - MVP wrote:
> airsmoothed wrote:
>>> Google PAE
>>
>> That's interesting, but you still need a 64 bit OS by the looks of it.
>

> Or a server version:
>
> Current crop of Microsoft 32-bit operating systems that can utilise more
> than 4GB of RAM with the use of Physical Address Extension:
>
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server - 8 processors and 8 GB RAM
> Windows 2000 Datacenter Server - 32 processors and 32 GB RAM
> (support for 64 GB was not offered because of a lack of systems for
> testing)
>
> Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 32 GB RAM
> Windows Server 2003 SP1, Enterprise Edition - 8 processors and 64 GB RAM
> Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 64 GB RAM
> Windows Server 2003 SP1, Datacenter Edition 32 processors and 128 GB RAM

WOW I definitely need a 32 cpu machine with 128 gigs of ram

I might be able to finally have a good score in Tetris

(the win3x version of course) :)

From: dennis on
On 15-03-2010 23:15, philo wrote:

> WOW I definitely need a 32 cpu machine with 128 gigs of ram
>
> I might be able to finally have a good score in Tetris
>
> (the win3x version of course) :)

Sorry, but they didn't make a 32bit only cpu with 128GB support :o

From: Bob I on

dennis wrote:
> On 15-03-2010 23:15, philo wrote:
>
>> WOW I definitely need a 32 cpu machine with 128 gigs of ram
>>
>> I might be able to finally have a good score in Tetris
>>
>> (the win3x version of course) :)
>

> Sorry, but they didn't make a 32bit only cpu with 128GB support :o

he said 32 CPU machine, not 32 bit. BIG difference