From: hibatos on
Hello there,

I'm new to Linux. And I've just managed to install DSL to my old
Toshiba Satellite (running on 64MB-RAM, Pentuim 3 466mhz) and I'm
having a hell of a time trying to surf the net.

Could some please help out! I've read many forums and yet I can't get
it.
I've copyed all the necessary win drivers and when I try to get
NDISWRAPPER to enable, but I keep getting a 'Failed to connect'
message. Would I need to try and enable it as ROOT? I have no idea, if
someone could sort me out, I'd much appreciate it.
From: Unruh on
hibatos <olivier.balaguer(a)gmail.com> writes:

>Hello there,

>I'm new to Linux. And I've just managed to install DSL to my old
>Toshiba Satellite (running on 64MB-RAM, Pentuim 3 466mhz) and I'm
>having a hell of a time trying to surf the net.

>Could some please help out! I've read many forums and yet I can't get
>it.
>I've copyed all the necessary win drivers and when I try to get
>NDISWRAPPER to enable, but I keep getting a 'Failed to connect'
>message. Would I need to try and enable it as ROOT? I have no idea, if
>someone could sort me out, I'd much appreciate it.

Since we have absolutely no idea what you have already done, we have no
idea how to help you. DSL is usually an ethernet connection. How is your
machine connected to the DSL modem? If it is wireless, what is the wireless
card you are using (certainly a 466MHz Toshiba did not have one built in).
We need more information.

Note that to set stuff up, you must do so as root.

From: chris on
Unruh wrote:
> hibatos <olivier.balaguer(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello there,
>
>> I'm new to Linux. And I've just managed to install DSL to my old
>> Toshiba Satellite (running on 64MB-RAM, Pentuim 3 466mhz) and I'm
>> having a hell of a time trying to surf the net.
>
>> Could some please help out! I've read many forums and yet I can't get
>> it.
>> I've copyed all the necessary win drivers and when I try to get
>> NDISWRAPPER to enable, but I keep getting a 'Failed to connect'
>> message. Would I need to try and enable it as ROOT? I have no idea, if
>> someone could sort me out, I'd much appreciate it.
>
> Since we have absolutely no idea what you have already done, we have no
> idea how to help you. DSL is usually an ethernet connection. How is your
> machine connected to the DSL modem? If it is wireless, what is the wireless
> card you are using (certainly a 466MHz Toshiba did not have one built in).
> We need more information.
>
> Note that to set stuff up, you must do so as root.

I think there's some confusion with acronyms here; the OP was referring
to Damn Small Linux whereas you, I think, are talking about the
broadband technology (Digital Subscriber Line).

Although, you are right to ask for more info., esp. the type of wireless
card and also the ethernet chip. You can do this from the commandline
using the 'lspci' command.

Often with getting wireless working it is best to connect first via
ethernet and to check that the networking is working on the laptop and
then disable any encryption on the wireless access point to make sure
you're having encryption/password issues when attempting a wireless
connection.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
hibatos wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'm new to Linux. And I've just managed to install DSL to my old
> Toshiba Satellite (running on 64MB-RAM, Pentuim 3 466mhz) and I'm
> having a hell of a time trying to surf the net.
>
> Could some please help out! I've read many forums and yet I can't get
> it.
> I've copyed all the necessary win drivers and when I try to get
> NDISWRAPPER to enable, but I keep getting a 'Failed to connect'
> message. Would I need to try and enable it as ROOT? I have no idea, if
> someone could sort me out, I'd much appreciate it.

Have you actually installed the Windows drivers, i.e. not just copied them?

The link below is written for Ubuntu but contains lots of good info.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/NdisWrapper_The_Ultimate_Guide/

--
Geoff Registered Linux user 196308
Replace bitbucket with geoff to mail me.
From: Unruh on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:

>Unruh wrote:
>> hibatos <olivier.balaguer(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>
>>> I'm new to Linux. And I've just managed to install DSL to my old
>>> Toshiba Satellite (running on 64MB-RAM, Pentuim 3 466mhz) and I'm
>>> having a hell of a time trying to surf the net.
>>
>>> Could some please help out! I've read many forums and yet I can't get
>>> it.
>>> I've copyed all the necessary win drivers and when I try to get
>>> NDISWRAPPER to enable, but I keep getting a 'Failed to connect'
>>> message. Would I need to try and enable it as ROOT? I have no idea, if
>>> someone could sort me out, I'd much appreciate it.
>>
>> Since we have absolutely no idea what you have already done, we have no
>> idea how to help you. DSL is usually an ethernet connection. How is your
>> machine connected to the DSL modem? If it is wireless, what is the wireless
>> card you are using (certainly a 466MHz Toshiba did not have one built in).
>> We need more information.
>>
>> Note that to set stuff up, you must do so as root.

>I think there's some confusion with acronyms here; the OP was referring
>to Damn Small Linux whereas you, I think, are talking about the
>broadband technology (Digital Subscriber Line).

You are right, I did take it as him connecting to a Digital Subscriber
Line. Sorry. It makes slightly more sense now.

You must not only copy the win drivers, but install them under ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper -l

do you see the driver for your ethernet card in that list? If not you have
not instaled it.

>Although, you are right to ask for more info., esp. the type of wireless
>card and also the ethernet chip. You can do this from the commandline
>using the 'lspci' command.

>Often with getting wireless working it is best to connect first via
>ethernet and to check that the networking is working on the laptop and
>then disable any encryption on the wireless access point to make sure
>you're having encryption/password issues when attempting a wireless
>connection.

Certainly a good idea.
If when you do modprobe ndiswrapper and then do
dmesg|tail
do you see that the driver was installed or is there some problem?
If it was installed, then to
iwlist s
and see if you can see the access point you wnat to connect to.

If you can see it, see if it wants encryption. As suggested set up the AP
without encryption first so you know you can connect.