From: Susan Harris on
Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the Linux
one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
"disk", but that still seems a little weird.

Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?

From: Darren Davison on
On 2008-11-24, Susan Harris <susanbharris1972(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the Linux
> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.

if I were a betting man I might take a punt on them having had kickbacks
from a certain Redmond based outfit to price it that way.

The people you really need to ask are the PC World staff (though I
imagine a sane answer might be too much to hope for.)

D.

--
darren@ public key
davisononline.org 0xE855B3EA
From: Whiskers on
On 2008-11-24, Susan Harris <susanbharris1972(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the Linux
> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>
> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?

Going straight to the horse's mouth, Asus seem to think that the Linux and
WinXP versions of the EeePC901 should both cost the same on the high street
- £254 +VAT, or £299 inclusive (but wait till next week and the VAT should
go down from 17.5% to 15%, if the Chancellor gets his way).
<http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=0&l2=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/257> -
the price list is a Excell spreadsheet!

But retailers are free to set their own prices. So shop around, or haggle
with PC World.

Amazon seem to think the Linux version should be slightly cheaper than the
WinXP version
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/qid=1227554962/ref=sr_kk_2/277-9480910-3922065?i
e=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=eee%20pc%20901> or
<http://xrl.us/ox967>

The PC World web site suggests that they are trying to get rid of the
WinXP version, as it shows the price having been cut by £50 while the
(once £10 cheaper) Linux version has not had its price cut.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: chris on
Susan Harris wrote:
> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the Linux
> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>
> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?

I doubt it, the larger flash drive does add a significant amount to the
price. I think it was a deliberate ploy by Asus, to make the better
specced one linux only.

Try other suppliers; ebuyer has them for less. PCW is not known for it's
cheap prices...

From: Szymon von Ulezalka on
On 24 Lis, 18:12, "Susan Harris" <susanbharris1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the Linux
> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>
> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?

1. linux versions use (mostly) a pricer Solid State Disks (ssd)
instead of 'classic' hard disks
2. in situation when both versions (xp and linux) use ssd- those with
xp have a smaller capacity

btw, i'd prefer to buy a eeepc1000 version instead of 901- find (on
youtube) the difference between them- 1000 has better keyboard and
screen (its lighter)- unfortunatelly its a bit bigger (but only a
bit).
dont forget about 12000mA batteries (~35quids) :>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Enabling Wi-fi in Damn Small Linux
Next: Rolling Gentoo