From: Neil Ellwood on
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:58:46 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

> On 2008-11-24, Susan Harris <susanbharris1972(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the
>> Linux one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a
>> bigger "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>>
>> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones
>> soon?
>
> Going straight to the horse's mouth, Asus seem to think that the Linux
> and WinXP versions of the EeePC901 should both cost the same on the high
> street - £254 +VAT, or £299 inclusive (but wait till next week and the
> VAT should go down from 17.5% to 15%, if the Chancellor gets his way).
> <http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=0&l2=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/257> -
> the price list is a Excell spreadsheet!
>
> But retailers are free to set their own prices. So shop around, or
> haggle with PC World.
>
> Amazon seem to think the Linux version should be slightly cheaper than
> the WinXP version
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/qid=1227554962/
ref=sr_kk_2/277-9480910-3922065?i
> e=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=eee%20pc%20901> or
> <http://xrl.us/ox967>
>
> The PC World web site suggests that they are trying to get rid of the
> WinXP version, as it shows the price having been cut by £50 while the
> (once £10 cheaper) Linux version has not had its price cut.

The prices are different in John Lewis.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<ggf16h$oms$1(a)dux.dundee.ac.uk>, Chris wrote:
> I doubt it, the larger flash drive does add a significant amount
> to the price.

It's not a huge amount ... certainly less than the cost of an XP
licence.

AIUI the memory is provided as two separate chips, 4GB of base memory in
both models plus an extra 8GB in the Windows version or 16GB in the
Linux version. When you consider that an 8GB SD Flash card costs about a
tenner and 16GB card only a few pounds more than �20 that makes the
difference in cost for the hardware only a bit more than a tenner. I
expect Asus get their OEM XP licence quite cheaply, but I'd guess at
around �20.

I wish they'd sell a 12GB linux version for �10 less and a 20GB Windows
version for �30 more ... that would be fairer.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Whiskers on
On 2008-11-25, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:
> In article news:<ggf16h$oms$1(a)dux.dundee.ac.uk>, Chris wrote:

[...]

> I wish they'd sell a 12GB linux version for £10 less and a 20GB Windows
> version for £30 more ... that would be fairer.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.

Or just sell all PCs with no installed OS and sell the OS seperately; that
would /really/ get Microsoft's offerings into a proper perspective <G>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: chris on
Daniel James wrote:
> In article news:<ggf16h$oms$1(a)dux.dundee.ac.uk>, Chris wrote:
>> I doubt it, the larger flash drive does add a significant amount to
>> the price.
>
> It's not a huge amount ... certainly less than the cost of an XP
> licence.
>
> AIUI the memory is provided as two separate chips, 4GB of base memory
> in both models plus an extra 8GB in the Windows version or 16GB in
> the Linux version.

According to this it is all on one 'card':
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/06/17/inside-the-eeepc-901-investigating-atom/1

> When you consider that an 8GB SD Flash card costs about a tenner and
> 16GB card only a few pounds more than �20 that makes the difference
> in cost for the hardware only a bit more than a tenner.

Solid state drives are more expensive than your typical flash card, so
the difference is likely to be more.

> I wish they'd sell a 12GB linux version for �10 less and a 20GB
> Windows version for �30 more ... that would be fairer.

Yeah, it is funny that the bloated OS gets the smaller disk with no
option to upgrade. ;)
From: Graham Murray on
Whiskers <catwheezel(a)operamail.com> writes:

> Or just sell all PCs with no installed OS and sell the OS seperately; that
> would /really/ get Microsoft's offerings into a proper perspective <G>

Which is how the original IBM PC was sold way back when it was launched
in 1981. There was a choice of 3 operating systems - PC/DOS, CPM-86 or
UCSD p-system.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Enabling Wi-fi in Damn Small Linux
Next: Rolling Gentoo