From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-26, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> I just wrote my own build system (nearly packaged now, but it's hard to
> figure out how to preserve user changes across reinstalls when the user
> can customize virtually every aspect of its behaviour).

I never bothered with packages until Gentoo came along as it offered a
neat halfway-house between my desire to compile packages for the
system in which they were to run and the ease of use of a packaging
system. It's not as easy as something like ubuntu, but I can decide
whether to include a GUI for example or support for various other
features and so prevent large influxes of useless libraries. And best
of all, the hard work is done by other people ;-)

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<pan.2008.11.26.12.51.44.504104(a)mc2-brunel.deb>, William
Poaster wrote:
> One of the *main* reasons why computers with M$ windows installed are
> cheaper than Linux ones, is because they have "demo" versions of
> applications (like M$ Office) installed & the vendors *pay* to have
> them put on the system.

Very likely ... but I don't think the EEE PC has much, if any, of that.
Just XP and (a fully licenced copy of) Works, I think.

> I assume the bigger disk is to accommodate these demos, & the M$
> bloatware.

No, you misunderstand. The Windows version has a SMALLER disk -- if you
buy the linux version you get extra disk space instead of a Windows
licence but the price is the same.

The linux versions -- even the 4GB EEE 701 -- come with OpenOffice,
Firefox, Thunderbird, and quite a lot besides. A much better deal than
XP+Works!

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: chris on
Daniel James wrote:
> In article news:<gghb5b$m47$1(a)dux.dundee.ac.uk>, Chris wrote:
>> Of course you can make Linux as complicated and long-winded to install
>> as you like ...
>
> It's not that Gentoo is especially complicated or long-winded, just that
> it installs from source so you have to compile all the software rather
> than just unpacking a binary archive.

To me that /is/ more complicated and long-winded. Spending hours/days
compiling openoffice is not what I want to spend my time on.

When I install a program it's because I want to use it now, not in an
hour's time.
From: Bruce Stephens on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Daniel James wrote:
>> In article news:<gghb5b$m47$1(a)dux.dundee.ac.uk>, Chris wrote:
>>> Of course you can make Linux as complicated and long-winded to install
>>> as you like ...
>>
>> It's not that Gentoo is especially complicated or long-winded, just that
>> it installs from source so you have to compile all the software rather
>> than just unpacking a binary archive.
>
> To me that /is/ more complicated and long-winded. Spending hours/days
> compiling openoffice is not what I want to spend my time on.
>
> When I install a program it's because I want to use it now, not in an
> hour's time.

Quite. And on the whole I don't care much if it need extra
dependencies.

On rare occasions I'll want to tweak things a bit, but at least on
Debian building source packages is easy enough: "apt-get source ...",
fiddle with it a bit, bump the version, and do "pdebuild". There are
even setups that cause automagic rebuilds of everything if I want the
pain of gentoo. I imagine ubuntu is the same, and on Fedora the last
time I built a package wasn't too painful; presumably one can become
accustomed to that system, too.
From: Nix on
On 27 Nov 2008, Ian Rawlings spake thusly:
> I never bothered with packages until Gentoo came along as it offered a
> neat halfway-house between my desire to compile packages for the
> system in which they were to run and the ease of use of a packaging
> system.

Last time I used Gentoo (years ago) it was really painful to maintain
your own local patches, because it maintained the source trees using
rsync, overwriting any local changes. This seemed like a bit of a waste
of the potential power of having all that source available...

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last