From: Ian on
On 24 Nov, 23:42, Szymon von Ulezalka <ata...(a)interia.pl> wrote:

> btw, i'd prefer to buy a eeepc1000 version instead of 901- find (on
> youtube) the difference between them- 1000 has better keyboard and
> screen (its lighter)- unfortunatelly its a bit bigger (but only a
> bit).

I had a look at both the 901 and the 1000 in (mumble) Toys R Us in
(mumble) Milton Keynes. The 1000 really is substantially bigger, and
costs a bomb as well. Plenty of far better specified laptops available
from Dell, Morgan etc etc for the same or less money. Three hundred
and twenty quid is twice what I paid for a good second hand Thinkpad
X31 on eBay...

I love my eee 701 (eeeXubuntu), by the way!

Ian
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Szymon von Ulezalka" <atavus(a)interia.pl> wrote in message
> On 24 Lis, 18:12, "Susan Harris" <susanbharris1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the
>> Linux
>> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
>> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>>
>> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?
>
> 1. linux versions use (mostly) a pricer Solid State Disks (ssd)
> instead of 'classic' hard disks
> 2. in situation when both versions (xp and linux) use ssd- those with
> xp have a smaller capacity
>
> btw, i'd prefer to buy a eeepc1000 version instead of 901- find (on
> youtube) the difference between them- 1000 has better keyboard and
> screen (its lighter)- unfortunatelly its a bit bigger (but only a
> bit).
> dont forget about 12000mA batteries (~35quids) :>

Whilst we're on the subject I just bought an Asus eee 1000 for my SO for her
birthday, it was the one running Linux obviously. I didn't intend to change
from the Asus supplied distro. (is it a flavour of Xandros?) unless it
really annoyed me. The one thing that really surprised me is that, out of
the box, it seems to be single user! Yes they've used a true multi-user
operating system and limited it one user. I've googled around for this and
it seems the only answer is to put a proper distro. on it. Trouble is, the
more she uses it the less she'll want to change and I haven't got time to
mess about with it at the moment.

I just thought I'd mention it as I haven't seen mention of this limitation
in any of the blurb.

--
Geoff

From: Szymon von Ulezalka on
On 25 Lis, 08:14, Ian <ian.gro...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 24 Nov, 23:42, Szymon von Ulezalka <ata...(a)interia.pl> wrote:
>
> > btw, i'd prefer to buy a eeepc1000 version instead of 901- find (on
> > youtube) the difference between them- 1000 has better keyboard and
> > screen (its lighter)- unfortunatelly its a bit bigger (but only a
> > bit).
>
> I had a look at both the 901 and the 1000 in (mumble) Toys R Us in
> (mumble) Milton Keynes. The 1000 really is substantially bigger, and
> costs a bomb as well. Plenty of far better specified laptops available
> from Dell, Morgan etc etc for the same or less money. Three hundred
> and twenty quid is twice what I paid for a good second hand Thinkpad
> X31 on eBay...
>
> I love my eee 701 (eeeXubuntu), by the way!
>
> Ian

yeah, that's unfortunatelly right- eeep1000 is a bigger and more
expensive... but, from the other hand- its still quite mobile (without
doubt more than 12-14-15inch models), for additional ~35pounds you can
by almost twice bigger battery; not to mention about keyboard's size-
i tried to type some text on 90x (in Phone4U shop btw)- and if i'd
have to write on it something bigger than short email- i'd go crazy.
keys are to small :/
not to mention that you have 2 years warranty on it, it would be hard
to get second-hand laptop with more than 6months of warranty :|

szymon
From: Szymon von Ulezalka on
On 25 Lis, 09:26, "Geoffrey Clements"
<geoffrey.clement...(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:
> "Szymon von Ulezalka" <ata...(a)interia.pl> wrote in messagenews:dda55413-e04b-4ca1-995d-1333c61cdffd(a)v15g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
>

> > On 24 Lis, 18:12, "Susan Harris" <susanbharris1...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Was thinking of buying a eePC 901 from PC World, but noticed that the
> >> Linux
> >> one is 40 quid more expensive than the XP one! Sure, you get a bigger
> >> "disk", but that still seems a little weird.
>
> >> Think the Linux one's will come down in price to match the XP ones soon?
>
> > 1. linux versions use (mostly) a pricer Solid State Disks (ssd)
> > instead of 'classic' hard disks
> > 2. in situation when both versions (xp and linux) use ssd- those with
> > xp have a smaller capacity
>
> > btw, i'd prefer to buy a eeepc1000 version instead of 901- find (on
> > youtube) the difference between them- 1000 has better keyboard and
> > screen (its lighter)- unfortunatelly its a bit bigger (but only a
> > bit).
> > dont forget about 12000mA batteries (~35quids) :>
>
> Whilst we're on the subject I just bought an Asus eee 1000 for my SO for her
> birthday, it was the one running Linux obviously. I didn't intend to change
> from the Asus supplied distro. (is it a flavour of Xandros?) unless it
> really annoyed me. The one thing that really surprised me is that, out of
> the box, it seems to be single user! Yes they've used a true multi-user
> operating system and limited it one user. I've googled around for this and
> it seems the only answer is to put a proper distro. on it. Trouble is, the
> more she uses it the less she'll want to change and I haven't got time to
> mess about with it at the moment.
>
> I just thought I'd mention it as I haven't seen mention of this limitation
> in any of the blurb.
>
> --
> Geoff

hm... could you paste a lsmod and lspci here? how comfy is keyboard
(for you- you probably has a bigger hands- women shouldn't usually
have a problem with it)? how long she can use it on the standard
6600mAh (afaik) battery?
could you paste lsmod and lspci here?

btw, creating an ordinary user and than changing root passwds isn't a
solution?
btw2, you can always use debian on it- xandros is debian-based, so she
should feel no differences between those 2 os's.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Szymon von Ulezalka" <atavus(a)interia.pl> wrote in message

[snip]

> hm... could you paste a lsmod and lspci here?

I'm going away on business for a couple of days so won't have access to it
until Friday but I'll be happy to post then. If I forget feel free to send
me a reminder by e-mail (geoff at electron dot me dot uk)!

> how comfy is keyboard

It's fine for me, it doesn't feel that different from a normal laptop just a
bit smaller. Ironically it's more awkward for her due to her longer
finger-nails which make the touch-pad more difficult to use but that goes
for any touch-pad not just this one.

> (for you- you probably has a bigger hands- women shouldn't usually
> have a problem with it)? how long she can use it on the standard
> 6600mAh (afaik) battery?

Charged it up on Saturday, it's been used on and off by both of us. It's now
Tuesday and it's still going strong. Sorry I can't be more specific but I
estimate it's been used more more than 5 hours so far.

> could you paste lsmod and lspci here?

will do - later (see above)

> btw, creating an ordinary user and than changing root passwds isn't a
> solution?

I haven't delved into it that far. Using the tools supplied it can't be done
as it will only let you define one user. I could get a terminal up (which is
available through the file manager) and see what tools are available.
Certainly adduser is not available as I tried that but I haven't had time to
look further. The user home directory is /home/user no matter what name you
give the user so it seems they only expect you to set up one user.

Another observation:
when you plug in a usb pen-drive it mounts it under /home/user/D: - yup D:
!! I think they expect their customers to be windows users! (Which i suppose
will be true for the most part)

> btw2, you can always use debian on it- xandros is debian-based, so she
> should feel no differences between those 2 os's.

Yeah - there's also Ubuntu eee which has a kiosk mode similar to the one
that's already on it, I may give this a try in the near future if she lets
me! There's a recovery partition on the SSD which means I can restore to the
factory settings if it all goes wrong.

--
Geoff

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Enabling Wi-fi in Damn Small Linux
Next: Rolling Gentoo