From: Mark Hobley on
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> To me that /is/ more complicated and long-winded. Spending hours/days
> compiling openoffice is not what I want to spend my time on.

This is where it is nice to have more than one computer. I have a
separate computer for building, and I just leave this running. I saw a
documentary on the television about Gentoo being used at a University.
It showed a classroom full of computers being used as a compiler farm.
Very nice!

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-27, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> Last time I used Gentoo (years ago) it was really painful to maintain
> your own local patches, because it maintained the source trees using
> rsync, overwriting any local changes. This seemed like a bit of a waste
> of the potential power of having all that source available...

The overlay system is specifically designed for this.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: chris on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To me that /is/ more complicated and long-winded. Spending hours/days
>> compiling openoffice is not what I want to spend my time on.
>
> This is where it is nice to have more than one computer. I have a
> separate computer for building, and I just leave this running. I saw a
> documentary on the television about Gentoo being used at a University.
> It showed a classroom full of computers being used as a compiler farm.
> Very nice!

Sorry to get all hippy, but that's horribly wasteful! I can see the
benefits (although small) of compiling stuff specifically for your
hardware, but in a business/University context where the majority of the
machines are the same there is no point in compiling the software on
/all/ the machines. Just do it once and roll it out to the rest.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Ian Rawlings" <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
> On 2008-11-27, Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Last time I used Gentoo (years ago) it was really painful to maintain
>> your own local patches, because it maintained the source trees using
>> rsync, overwriting any local changes. This seemed like a bit of a waste
>> of the potential power of having all that source available...
>
> The overlay system is specifically designed for this.

And is very easy to set up and use. I maintained overlays for my own
packages and those I supported on sunrise, portage integrated the overlays
with the main source tree seemlessly.

--
Geoff

From: Geoffrey Clements on
"John Stumbles" <john.stumbles(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:11:50 +0000, Geoffrey Clements wrote:
>
>> I haven't delved into it that far. Using the tools supplied it can't be
>> done as it will only let you define one user. I could get a terminal up
>> (which is available through the file manager) and see what tools are
>> available. Certainly adduser is not available as I tried that but I
>> haven't had time to look further. The user home directory is /home/user
>> no matter what name you give the user so it seems they only expect you
>> to set up one user.
>
> $EDITOR /etc/passwd ?

It may also use shadow but I don't know as yet, also /etc/group will need to
be added but I take your point; you don't need tools such as assuser, they
are merely conveniences. However, the display manager /appears/ to only
allow one user, you don't actually enter your user name just your password
so simply adding users is not the complete answer.

As I've been away I haven't done any more investigating as yet but I'm loath
to mess about with it at the moment as my SO is using it to help with here
studies.

--
Geoff

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Enabling Wi-fi in Damn Small Linux
Next: Rolling Gentoo