From: D Yuniskis on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> "Sylvia Else" <sylvia(a)not.at.this.address> wrote in message
>> On 12/04/2010 9:45 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?
>>>
>>> So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?
>>
>> In any case, the energy used by an application is not so clearly defined.
>> You could in principle measure the increase in energy used by the computer
>> as a result of running the program, but some of that increase will be the
>> result of interactions (such as memory, cache or disk contention) with
>> other programs. That is - stop another program, and then run the program
>> of interest again - and you could find that it causes a lower increase
>> than before.
>>
>> It doesn't appear to be a very useful thing to measure.
>
> I was thinking myself along the following lines:
>
> Mostly the cpu's energy consumption would be measured... it might do so on
> an instruction-to-instruction basis... but it would need to know what
> application or system component/kernel it belongs too...
>
> I had this idea after reading the absurd constraints by "Steve Jobs" on
> programming the iPhone... He being worried that "non apple development
> tools" would create bad iPhone applications ?! Speculation is that he is
> worried about "Slow applications", "Bad applications" and "Energy hungry
> applications".

Developing code for very low power applications is an art.
Publishing SDK's for Joe Random Developer to develop any
sort of application he/she envisions without regard for
the constraints of the device exposed the user's impressions
of the device (and its manufacturer).

I.e., if every application was 100MB, then the iPhone would
look like an underpowered device.

If every application insisted on the radio being "on", then
the iPhone's battery would look like it was undersized.

If every application wanted to run in "Administrator mode",
then the inevitable security compromises would make the
iPhone look like an insecure device.

Etc.

Instead, developers need to be aware that you don't use
resources (memory, CPU, power, etc.) casually on a device
that is severely constrained, resource wise. I.e., those
folks who write desktop applications probably will be
writing bad iPhone applications!

> "Steve" seems to be "be-litting" his own users ;) :)
>
> Instead how about giving the users more insight into the functioning of the
> device by: "Task manager like thingy" and "energy like thingy" ;)
>
> Then users can decide for themselfes if they want or do not want to run
> energy hogs, and system hogs etc ;)

As Sylvia mentioned, you need to come up with a way of charging
each application for the actual TOTAL costs of its actions.
From: Sylvia Else on
On 12/04/2010 10:09 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> I had this idea after reading the absurd constraints by "Steve Jobs" on
> programming the iPhone... He being worried that "non apple development
> tools" would create bad iPhone applications ?! Speculation is that he is
> worried about "Slow applications", "Bad applications" and "Energy hungry
> applications".

He's probably justified. Whether due to ignorance, or just laziness,
developers seem able to use all of whatever computing resource is
available. Sometimes it's because they're doing new stuff that couldn't
be done before on lesser powered devices, but often it's just people
using less efficient algorithms - for example, linear searches rather
than binary cut or hash searches - because they're easier, and don't
cause obvious headaches on faster hardware. Until, that is, that faster
hardware is trying to do other things at the same time.

We also see more and more use of interpreted scripting languages for
tasks that really demand a compiled language. I'm waiting (I doubt I'll
wait long, if it doesn't exist already) for an interpreted scripting
language whose interpreter is written in another interpreted scripting
language.

Sylvia.
From: Skybuck Flying on
<nonsense snipped> :)

I think good desktop application developers are well-aware that iPhones and
such have limited resources.

As well as application-tool developers.

For Steve Jobs/Apple to say that some tools are bad seems almost
slanderous...

He/they better be able to prove it ! ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

From: is_this_seat_taken on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:53:23 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<IntoTheFuture(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

><nonsense snipped> :)
>
>I think good desktop application developers are well-aware that iPhones and
>such have limited resources.
>
>As well as application-tool developers.
>
>For Steve Jobs/Apple to say that some tools are bad seems almost
>slanderous...
>
>He/they better be able to prove it ! ;) :)
>
>Bye,
> Skybuck =D

Time is running out for you, son. You better become self-aware soon...