From: RobertB on
-------------- Original Message -------------------
From: Keith Henrickson
Date: Wed, August 4, 2010 11:25 am

Enhanced Music Player for iPad now available!

Those of you at Commvex saw a pre-release demo of this! The Compute's
Gazette Sid Collection can now be played back on the iPad!

This is a different collection than the HVSC, and also has songs
supporting Stereo Sid and lyrics.

Unfortunately, it's not there for the iPhone/iPod Touch yet. Have to
see
if I can't bring the CPU usage down.

Enhanced Music Player went live on the App Store this morning!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/enhanced-music-player/id381985743?mt=8
From: David Murray on
Wow.. I just downloaded this last night. I had forgotten how poor
quality most of these songs were. Is it a limitation of the format,
or is it just that there were a lot of real amateurs using this
software to write music?
From: Martin 'Martinland' Schemitsch on
Dear David,

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:10:50 +0100, David Murray wrote:

> I had forgotten how poor quality most of these songs were.
[...]
> Is it a limitation of the format,

Most definitely not - you're just listening to the wrong SIDs. ;-D

I have over 500 contemporary SID tunes in my "modern" playlist (there's a "classic" one too ;-) that range from the funky to the artistic and even dare I say experimental.

It's all there (I'm talking about the HVSC actually) but most difficult to find. That's true.

May I suggest three random examples:

my favourite tunes -> [...]/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/
funky, slick tunes -> [...]/MUSICIANS/M/Mitch_and_Dane/Dane/
experimental tunes -> [...]/MUSICIANS/E/Ed/

This is just a glimpse of what's been achieved on this old chip by now... ;)

> or is it just that there were a lot of real amateurs using this
> software to write music?

Of course there are lots and lots of enthusiasts' offerings with extremely varying quality, that's more like it.

Don't forget: In the formative years of the SID chip music art form you had to be a real good composer as well as programmer to pull off something appealing.

That's why there were so few good SIDs in the beginning.

Nowadays, with all tools readily available, you don't have to be either, that's why there are so few good SIDs now, LOL! 8-D

On the other hand there are pretty nifty SID things possible today you couldn't do, were it not for all the people, there know how as well as their programming efforts you build upon.

From personal experience I'd say - depending on your musical taste or standards, love for SID music most essential - you will have to toss at least about 97% of all SIDs... ;-

ML

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!"
(Ford as Dr. Jones Jr. in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark')
From: iAN CooG on
David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Wow.. I just downloaded this last night. I had forgotten how poor
> quality most of these songs were. Is it a limitation of the format,
> or is it just that there were a lot of real amateurs using this
> software to write music?

both ;)

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
without words

From: iAN CooG on
Martin 'Martinland' Schemitsch <team8martinland(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Most definitely not - you're just listening to the wrong SIDs. ;-D
> my favourite tunes -> [...]/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/

You are confusing .mus files with .sid files.
This player is for (Enhanced) Sidplayer from Compute Gazette, CGSC .mus
files in other words.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
http://intros.c64.org

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Wanted To Buy: Commodore 128.