From: gtr on
I assembled a couple of .png files together so I could relay an image
from a magazine article. I handed the link to my sister. She displays
on Internet Explorer, I assume, and says the font is too small to read.

I'm struck curious by that. I would think the image is the same for
every browser displaying it. Maybe she has a jumbo display, I don't
know. In any case, is there a way to enlarge the image on her end,
hopefully using a hotkey or something. I no longer have a PC to jerk
around with to answer the question.

Any aid appreciated!
--
If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-15-2010 19:04, dorayme wrote:
>> > I'm struck curious by that. I would think the image is the same for
>> > every browser displaying it.
> Computer monitors differ in screen area and resolution.
> [and more good stuff about monitors]

Also, some browsers will show the image pixel per pixel,
and others will rescale it to fit the window.

Some can do it either way, according to user settings.
Internet Explorer is one of those. Version six has a
very poor resizing algorithm that makes most large pictures
look crappy.

--
Wes Groleau

Walls Around the Poor
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/russell?itemid=1520
From: dorayme on
In article <i1ogjr$vir$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> > Computer monitors differ in screen area and resolution.
> > [and more good stuff about monitors]
>
> Also, some browsers will show the image pixel per pixel,
> and others will rescale it to fit the window.
>
> Some can do it either way, according to user settings.
> Internet Explorer is one of those. Version six has a
> very poor resizing algorithm that makes most large pictures
> look crappy.

Yes, Opera is the mother of all this stuff but many browsers have
a zoom feature and some coupled with 'fit image to browser
viewport' as a default. Even Safari 3 has the latter, you can see
the cursor with a mag glass and a + in it to indicate it is not
native size to the pic, or a - to say it is bigger than the
native size.

What many people do not know is that there is a distinction
between zooming generally and zooming-text-only. In Firefox, for
example, you get a choice. Me, I always set to enlarge text only
because I dislike in general deterioration in browser led pic
enlarging.

You are right about crappy. Modest enlargement of well made pics
is acceptable and almost all browser led reductions are fine too
(the assymetry is due to it being easy for a machine to throw
redundant info out but hard to make new info that is relevant and
does not spoil the definition. An artist with a human brain can
do it (see some modern art of photo realism at many top
galleries, absolutely huge portraits sometimes, ten, twenty feet
high)

--
dorayme