From: nookyn on

Hi guys

I need advice please on replacing a piece inside my Epson MX700 printer
that has come adrift, and how to do it.

I recently experienced a problem in the paper feed path. Sheets would
pass under the print heads (they were inked), but would then become
jammed. The jam was caused by a piece of foam stuck inside the mechanism
- I removed it with tweezers. Most of it (a 7 inch piece - see image:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9641/epsonfoam.jpg ) came out in one
piece, but a portion (I estimate a further 2 inches) was destroyed in
the process.

The printer appears to be working normally again. However, I don't know
what the foam was doing, or whether I will eventually have reason to
miss it. It has a regular pattern of ink stains on it (see upper
picture) - could it be needed for head cleaning perhaps?

I have several questions:
- Does anyone know what the foam did, and where in the machine did it
come from?
- Should I leave things as they are, or replace the 7 inch section I
still have, or procure a replacement part?

thanks
Azadeh