From: H.Henkler on
Hello,
maybe someone can give me an explanation why I always get a blueish tint
on BW photo prints, both when printer settings set to gray-scale or
color saturation set to zero.
I am using an EPSON Photo R200 and compatible inks, original Epson
paper as well as other paper brands.

Also color photos always show a cyan / greenish tint short time (abt. 30
minutes) after printing.
Do the different components of the "black" dye cause the tint? Some
kind of a chromatographic effect?

Herb Henkler

From: MD34 on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:53:40 +0200, "H.Henkler" <1und1/1122-217(a)online.de>
wrote:

>Hello,
>maybe someone can give me an explanation why I always get a blueish tint
>on BW photo prints, both when printer settings set to gray-scale or
>color saturation set to zero.
>I am using an EPSON Photo R200 and compatible inks, original Epson
>paper as well as other paper brands.
>
>Also color photos always show a cyan / greenish tint short time (abt. 30
>minutes) after printing.
>Do the different components of the "black" dye cause the tint? Some
>kind of a chromatographic effect?
>
>Herb Henkler
Don't know that printer but can you set it to pure B&W ?

Sounds like your priner is mixing the colors to make black, and doing a bad (but
usual) job.
From: H.Henkler on
> >Hello,
> >maybe someone can give me an explanation why I always get a blueish tint
> >on BW photo prints, both when printer settings set to gray-scale or
> >color saturation set to zero.
> >I am using an EPSON Photo R200 and compatible inks, original Epson
> >paper as well as other paper brands.
> >
> >Also color photos always show a cyan / greenish tint short time (abt. 30
> >minutes) after printing.
> >Do the different components of the "black" dye cause the tint? Some
> >kind of a chromatographic effect?
> >
> >Herb Henkler
> Don't know that printer but can you set it to pure B&W ?
>
> Sounds like your printer is mixing the colors to make black, and doing a bad (but
> usual) job.

Thanks for your comment. The printer uses 6 colors: Black, yellow, magenta, cyan,
photo magenta and photo cyan. Yes, it can be set to print pure BW.
What is named "black" ink should be a mixture of different dyes.
Still, the question remains.
Herb

From: MD34 on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 21:06:13 +0200, "H.Henkler" <1und1/1122-217(a)online.de>
wrote:

>> >Hello,
>> >maybe someone can give me an explanation why I always get a blueish tint
>> >on BW photo prints, both when printer settings set to gray-scale or
>> >color saturation set to zero.
>> >I am using an EPSON Photo R200 and compatible inks, original Epson
>> >paper as well as other paper brands.
>> >
>> >Also color photos always show a cyan / greenish tint short time (abt. 30
>> >minutes) after printing.
>> >Do the different components of the "black" dye cause the tint? Some
>> >kind of a chromatographic effect?
>> >
>> >Herb Henkler
>> Don't know that printer but can you set it to pure B&W ?
>>
>> Sounds like your printer is mixing the colors to make black, and doing a bad (but
>> usual) job.
>
>Thanks for your comment. The printer uses 6 colors: Black, yellow, magenta, cyan,
>photo magenta and photo cyan. Yes, it can be set to print pure BW.
>What is named "black" ink should be a mixture of different dyes.
>Still, the question remains.
>Herb

And it was answered.

If you have a Black cart, set the printer for pure B&W and will only use Black
ink or toner.

If not, many printers default to using the color carts to simulate Black and the
quality of Black varies.
From: H.Henkler on

MD34 schrieb:

> >> Don't know that printer but can you set it to pure B&W ?
> >>
> >> Sounds like your printer is mixing the colors to make black, and doing a bad (but
> >> usual) job.
> >
> >Thanks for your comment. The printer uses 6 colors: Black, yellow, magenta, cyan,
> >photo magenta and photo cyan. Yes, it can be set to print pure BW.
> >What is named "black" ink should be a mixture of different dyes.
> >Still, the question remains.
> >Herb
> >

> And it was answered.
>
> If you have a Black cart, set the printer for pure B&W and will only use Black
> ink or toner.
>
> If not, many printers default to using the color carts to simulate Black and the
> quality of Black varies.

Sorry, but I do set the printer for pure B&W. It will use only this single black
cartridge.
The point I want to make is that there exists no single chemical "black" soluble dye.
The "black" cartridge already contains a mixture of at least 3 different dyes with
different light absorption spectra resulting in a black dye solution and - hopefully -
in a neutral black print on paper.
Don�t think of pigmented inks containing black pigments like carbon or graphite
particles.
Someone out there who knows the mistery of "black" dye inks ?