From: SamSez on
Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> SamSez wrote:
>

>> colormunmki puts the profile where it belongs.
>
> Oh, well since you know all this, possibly you can fix this by yourself
> by the simple task of editing the profile name and content.

I'm not the person with the problem. I'm trying to help the person with
the problem. Appropriate, as I own the hardware in question -- while you
obviously do not.

[duh]
From: Lon on
SamSez wrote:
> Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> SamSez wrote:
>>
>>> colormunmki puts the profile where it belongs.
>> Oh, well since you know all this, possibly you can fix this by yourself
>> by the simple task of editing the profile name and content.
>>

> I'm not the person with the problem. I'm trying to help the person with
> the problem. Appropriate, as I own the hardware in question -- while you
> obviously do not.

Well, I do own the R1800 printer, but since the OS of the OP isnt
obvious, it appears we are stuck.
From: SamSez on

> SamSez wrote:
>> Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> wrote in

>>> Oh, well since you know all this, possibly you can fix this by
>>> yourself by the simple task of editing the profile name and content.
>>>

>> I'm not the person with the problem. I'm trying to help the person
>> with the problem. Appropriate, as I own the hardware in question --
>> while you obviously do not.
>
> Well, I do own the R1800 printer, but since the OS of the OP isnt
> obvious, it appears we are stuck.

The printer in question is the r1800, but the hardware/software with
which he created the profile was an x-rite/pantone colormunki -- which
takes care of puting the created profile in the correct place on the OS
on which it runs -- and which is the piece of the hardware puzzle I doubt
you own as you are questioning the location of the profile it created
[which is not even a software option].

The issue is not the location of the profile -- the issue is using that
created profile, as it is not a matter of trying to select it in the
printer driver [the OP's original problem as I read it] but of selecting
it in the application doing the printing.

[no wonder netnews is dying]

From: Lon on
Joel wrote:
> "Gordon MacPherson" <gordon.macpherson(a)path.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have used Color Munki to generate a printer prifile for premium glossy
>> paper for my Epson R1800. In the printer properties box I can add this
>> profile to the list. The problem is that when I open the printer preferences
>> dialogue the new profile does not appear - there is howver a blank space
>> between "Epson standard" and the next. Does this space represent the
>> profile - or are there ways of getting it to appear.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gordon
>
> Hmmmm I have used several different printer profiles under Photoshop, but
> I don't remember where Windows kept the Printer Profiles. My suggestion
> that you may try to use the built-in SEARCH option to locate the extension
> of the other printer profile, then copy the Epson R1800 to the same folder
> see if the program will see it or not.
>
> Right now, I am using new installed Win7 and don't have everything setup
> like I had with Windows XP yet to know where it keeps the profile.

I have a hunch there is something messed up in the profile itself, where
one way to figure it out might be to open the new one in something like
Spybot FileAlyzer and the good one and see if it is obvious. Might be
able to open them in NotePad++ hex edit plugin or some other hex editor
such as wxHexEditor. I'd check the name [inside the profile] of that
profile against one of the free Epson R1800 ones.

The epson profiles appear to have the printer model and then the name of
the profile offset roughly 300 or so bytes into the raw file.

SPR1800 DblSDMtte BstPhoto.icc is profile file name SPR 1800
DblSDmtteBstPhoto.icc in %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\color\ which
shows up as Double-Sided Matte Paper in the R1800 Properties, so suspect
you'll need to searc down further for the name string. NotePad++ Hex
plugin has better facilities for searching, but isnt as good a raw hex
editor as a few others. All are free from SourceForge.

From: Lon on
Joel wrote:
> Lon <lon.stowell(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Joel wrote:

>>> Hmmmm I have used several different printer profiles under Photoshop, but
>>> I don't remember where Windows kept the Printer Profiles. My suggestion
>>> that you may try to use the built-in SEARCH option to locate the extension
>>> of the other printer profile, then copy the Epson R1800 to the same folder
>>> see if the program will see it or not.
>>>
>>> Right now, I am using new installed Win7 and don't have everything setup
>>> like I had with Windows XP yet to know where it keeps the profile.
>> I have a hunch there is something messed up in the profile itself, where
>> one way to figure it out might be to open the new one in something like
>> Spybot FileAlyzer and the good one and see if it is obvious. Might be
>> able to open them in NotePad++ hex edit plugin or some other hex editor
>> such as wxHexEditor. I'd check the name [inside the profile] of that
>> profile against one of the free Epson R1800 ones.
>>
>> The epson profiles appear to have the printer model and then the name of
>> the profile offset roughly 300 or so bytes into the raw file.
>>
>> SPR1800 DblSDMtte BstPhoto.icc is profile file name SPR 1800
>> DblSDmtteBstPhoto.icc in %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\color\ which
>> shows up as Double-Sided Matte Paper in the R1800 Properties, so suspect
>> you'll need to searc down further for the name string. NotePad++ Hex
>> plugin has better facilities for searching, but isnt as good a raw hex
>> editor as a few others. All are free from SourceForge.
>
> That's not the type of printer profile I have experienced with. I am a
> professional prographer so I work on photo for printing, and because I print
> from different photolabs with different printer as well as photo paper etc..
> So I download the printer profiles from Photolabs and load different printer
> profile to Photoshop to match the photolab.
>
> Not just changing the filename which I don't think it's a good idea, and I
> don't think it will work out.
>
> Also, I haven't checked but it's possible that Epson have the printer
> profiles for their printers at their web site (just guessing).

Epson has profiles for their papers available for all their printers at
their website. Dont recall if you had to register or not, been a couple
years since I bought the R1800.

The only way I know of to view the detailed Epson or other paper
profiles is from the printer's printing menus after you select a paper.