From: bhumble on
Hello,

When I try to install LabView (v7.1 or v8.0) I get the following error:

"Error 1402: Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\LVDB.Application\CLSID. Verify that
you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
personnel."

I have full administrator privileges on my computer and I am able to
modify that key manually using the registry editor. When I click the
"Yes" button to continue the installation it will complete but then
when I launch LabView I get the following error:

"The requested feature is unavailable on "localhost"".

Can you help me get LabView up and running?

Thanks,
From: Andy F. on
bhumble,

I may have a few suggestions for you to help resolve this error.  First comes the barrage of questions though.  Do you have any other National Instruments software installed?  Are you installing from a CD or from the hard drive?  Would it be possible to sign in as Administrator?

I would recommend trying to first sign in as the Administrator, instead of just having full admin privileges.  Then trying to copy the CD to the hard drive and install from there.  The last would be to uninstall other National Instruments, clean up the registry and reinstall the software.

Hope this helps!
Andy F.
From: bhumble on
Thanks for the reply!

I have tried performing an installation with a few items on NI software
(the exact list escapes me at the moment) but I have also tried it
after freshly uninstalling all NI software and both actions yeild the
same result. I have also tried removing the NI registry data but I'm
not sure exactly how much to take out. I deleted everything under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Applications/National Instruments heading and got
the same error during install.

I have tried both CD and HD based installations with identical results.

I have full admin priveleges but I have not yet tried installing from
the Admin account. I'll give that a shot but I don't have high hopes
since I know I have access to editing the key in question, I was able
to modify it by hand without any trouble.

Best regards,
-Ben
From: shahina on
Hello Ben,

Which OS are you using and which version of LabVIEW are you trying to
install? This error is coming from the Windows Installer and it seems
it is not specific to LabVIEW necessarily. Can you install any other
software fine on this computer?

I would suggest disabling virus checkers/scanners if you have any, and
try installing LabVIEW. Also, the following document from Microsoft
refers to this error: <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303089" target="_blank">Error message: Error 1402. Could not open key...</a> and might be helpful.

You can also try reinstalling the latest version of Windows Installer
(MSI installer) from Microsoft and see if that fixes the problem.

Good luck and best regards,
Shakhina P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
From: bhumble on
I'm trying to install LabView v7.1 on Windows XP. I've never had any trouble installing anything on my computer until now.

Good find on the error being a Microsfot thing! Unfortunately I don't
have a registry checker installed (I don't think XP comes with one like
ME and 98 do). Running such a program is the only solution given to the
problems shown in the articles you posted. Do you know where I can get
regscan.exe and if it will work on my system?

-Ben
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Agilent 82357a