From: mayayana on

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

How come those things can never be downloaded?
I'm on dial-up, and I don't want Flash or music
player plugins in my browser, but sometimes I
see something I'd like to download. Yet with audio and
Flash I can't seem to find a way to do it. If I try to
do "save link as" I just get a small, dummy file.
I don't understand why downloading woudn't be
the first choice, even for people with high-speed.
After all, if you end up liking what you see wouldn't you
just as soon have a copy? Am I missing something
here?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
mayayana wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8
>>
> How come those things can never be downloaded?
> I'm on dial-up, and I don't want Flash or music
> player plugins in my browser, but sometimes I
> see something I'd like to download. Yet with audio and
> Flash I can't seem to find a way to do it. If I try to
> do "save link as" I just get a small, dummy file.
> I don't understand why downloading woudn't be
> the first choice, even for people with high-speed.
> After all, if you end up liking what you see wouldn't you
> just as soon have a copy? Am I missing something
> here?

You need FireFox. Go to my site, and click on the "Get Firefox" graphic (I
get a buck <g>) that's on any page. Load it up!

After that, load these extensions:
FlashBlock -- http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
VideoDownloader -- http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

With the first, Flash animations won't play until you click on them. With
the second, you can save the video playing on the current page.
--
Working without a .NET?
http://classicvb.org/

From: Mike D Sutton on
> hmm... could it be, that we get somewhat off-topic in the meantime?...;)

Not to worry; the topic got stale a _long_ time ago!

Mike

- Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
E-Mail: EDais(a)mvps.org
WWW: Http://EDais.mvps.org/

From: mayayana on

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8
> >>
> > How come those things can never be downloaded?
> > I'm on dial-up, and I don't want Flash or music
> > player plugins in my browser, but sometimes I
> > see something I'd like to download. Yet with audio and
> > Flash I can't seem to find a way to do it. If I try to
> > do "save link as" I just get a small, dummy file.
> > I don't understand why downloading woudn't be
> > the first choice, even for people with high-speed.
> > After all, if you end up liking what you see wouldn't you
> > just as soon have a copy? Am I missing something
> > here?
>
> You need FireFox. Go to my site, and click on the "Get Firefox" graphic
(I
> get a buck <g>) that's on any page. Load it up!
>
> After that, load these extensions:
> FlashBlock -- http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
> VideoDownloader -- http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php
>
> With the first, Flash animations won't play until you click on them. With
> the second, you can save the video playing on the current page.

Thanks. I'm using Firefox.....You get a dollar
if someone downloads Firefox via your website?!
I think I want to work for you. :)

I tried javimoya.com but I don't get anything
like a download dialogue. When I paste in
Stefan's link and click "download" it just sends
me to the blog page.

This stuff drives me crazy. It's like the Internet
is turning into one big TV-land, in read-only format.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
mayayana wrote:
>> You need FireFox. Go to my site, and click on the "Get Firefox"
>> graphic (I get a buck <g>) that's on any page. Load it up!
>
> Thanks. I'm using Firefox.....You get a dollar
> if someone downloads Firefox via your website?!
> I think I want to work for you. :)

Anyone can do it, actually. It's a deal through Google's AdSense thingie.

Maybe this will work better: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

> This stuff drives me crazy. It's like the Internet
> is turning into one big TV-land, in read-only format.

I think it's gonna kill the cable company's golden goose, actually.
--
Working without a .NET?
http://classicvb.org/