From: Michael B. Johnson on
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:17:52 GMT, "mayayana" <mayaXXyana1a(a)mindXXspring.com>
wrote:

> An interesting sign of the times:
> I entered this in Google:
>
>"SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb nt"
>
>It returned this:
>
>"Did you mean: SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb net"

Sad. It really looks like that's where the market is headed, following the
Microsoft monopoly.
_______________________
Michael B. Johnson
From: Mike D Sutton on
Hi Mike,

> As Mike Sutton has already said, halftone is not available under Win9x and you might be better off using a third party
> graphics library, or perhaps GDI+, which I believe is possible under Win 9x although I'm not sre about that).

The minimum requirement for the .NET runtime is Win98/ME or NT4, it won't run under Win95 AFAIK.

> Before you do that though (or perhaps in addition to doing it) you might like to check out the LoadImage API. It won't
> load jpegs of course, but there are ways of getting around that problem by first converting the jpeg to a bitmap and
> then loading the bitmap with LoadImage. No point in
> going to all that trouble without checking it out in a simple way first
> though to see if the quality is sufficient for your needs.

How is loading the JPEG, saving it to disk then reloading it simpler than just loading the JPEG? ;)
Also, is the problem really in loading the JPEG off disk or displaying it in the picture box? At least when VB returns
the image in a StdPicture object it appears to be a DIB, which should mean it has no problems loading the image, just
displaying it. I've loaded a 6000*6000*24 bitmap in WinME directly into a StdPicture object, but loading the same image
into an AutoRedraw picture box simply hung the app so I couldn't say for sure. Also, WinME may not have the old 16mb
limitation it's been a long time since I worked with any of this stuff.

> The LoadImage API, whch will work under Win9x as well as WinXP, can
> load and stretch a bitmap into a device and it appears to use its own stretch
> algorithm which to my eyes appears to be at least as good as halftone.

LoadImage()'s scaling uses StretchDIBits() internally and sets COLORONCOLOR stretch mode which is natively available
under Win9x anyway.
If you're running on a Win9x/Me machine then setting the stretch mode to HALFTONE actually uses COLORONCOLOR internally,
so although it appears the call has succeeded it actually did something else.

Mike

- Microsoft Visual Basic MVP -
E-Mail: EDais(a)mvps.org
WWW: Http://EDais.mvps.org/

From: Stefan Berglund on
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:10:47 -0500, Michael B. Johnson
<mjohnson(a)veribox.net> wrote:
in <7jobf2192s9r6epbgl62tr41tf3imcu4nl(a)4ax.com>

>On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:17:52 GMT, "mayayana" <mayaXXyana1a(a)mindXXspring.com>
>wrote:
>
>> An interesting sign of the times:
>> I entered this in Google:
>>
>>"SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb nt"
>>
>>It returned this:
>>
>>"Did you mean: SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb net"
>
>Sad. It really looks like that's where the market is headed, following the
>Microsoft monopoly.
>_______________________
>Michael B. Johnson

It doesn't imply that at all. That's just Google's algorithm for
matching your search query to something it's familiar with.

---
Stefan Berglund
From: Ken Halter on
"Michael B. Johnson" <mjohnson(a)veribox.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:17:52 GMT, "mayayana"
> <mayaXXyana1a(a)mindXXspring.com>
> wrote:
>
>> An interesting sign of the times:
>> I entered this in Google:
>>
>>"SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb nt"

Adding to Stefan's reply... that search returns nothing, even if you let
Google convert the "nt" to "net".

This'n does though <g> (dropped the quotes and the reference to NT)... and,
they're mostly VB6 related.... and, since there are at least 2 in the list
from vbaccelerator.com, that's where I'd head for sample code.

Results 1 - 50 of about 83 English pages for SetBrushOrgEx VB
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_qdr=all&q=SetBrushOrgEx+VB&lr=lang_en

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
In Loving Memory - http://www.vbsight.com/Remembrance.htm

From: Michael B. Johnson on
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:25:02 -0700, "Ken Halter"
<Ken_Halter(a)Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> An interesting sign of the times:
>>> I entered this in Google:
>>>
>>>"SetBrushOrgEx bitmap vb nt"
>
>Adding to Stefan's reply... that search returns nothing, even if you let
>Google convert the "nt" to "net".
>
>This'n does though <g> (dropped the quotes and the reference to NT)... and,
>they're mostly VB6 related.... and, since there are at least 2 in the list
>from vbaccelerator.com, that's where I'd head for sample code.
>
>Results 1 - 50 of about 83 English pages for SetBrushOrgEx VB
>http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&as_qdr=all&q=SetBrushOrgEx+VB&lr=lang_en

Very interesting.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Ken and Stefan.
Michael B. Johnson