From: Alex K <Alex on
I'd been having problems like others in the group with Windows Update
failing. I tried everything suggested. I finally thought to renew my IP
address as a "what the heck" solution and that failed! A quick search in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base turned up

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810606

This fixed my renew problem and my Windows Update problem. Hope it helps
others because this had been driving me NUTs for the past couple of months!
From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Alex,

Thanks for posting this. However, the article states that ALL firewalls
should be disabled and doing so *may* make the system vulnerable until
the TCP/IP network protocol is reset and the firewall activated.
Therefore, the steps in the article should be done with the system
DISCONNECTED from it's internet connection **FIRST**. Too bad the KB
article doesn't state that.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten